Is it worth getting a Wii U in 2019?

Caporegime
Never owned one but did have the original Wii, I only currently own a Nintendo DS Lite so my access to up to date Nintendo games is non-existant.

Is it worth finding a Wii U to play the first part games I missed out on?

Caporegime
Which games would you be looking to play on it? First party Nintendo games like Zelda etc are available on the Switch so I'd be more inclined to look there (I appreciate obviously higher cost)

Even games like ZombiU that were a reason to get a Wii U are available elsewhere now.

Caporegime
OP
I think there's a couple of Mario games that are still only available on the wii u such as New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World?

Soldato
I'd disagree to be honest - I've got a Switch and I recently picked up a 2nd hand Wii U with a bundle of games that cost less than 2 Switch games!

The system itself isn't perhaps the slickest these days but the games are cracking and you can usually pick them up for a few quid at your local CEX or 2nd hand via marketplace/preloved/schpock etc

Well worth it for the money imo!

*edit*

Plus you can play all of the old Wii games if you can pick up a couple of the controllers and a sensor bar - not the best graphically obviously but some of them are great fun!

Soldato
It varies and as much as I hate Facebook, their marketplace is loads better than the other 2nd hand sites for things like this!

I managed to pick up a Wii U including a pro controller and 7 games for £80 - but I've seen lots cheaper than this too!

The games included 3 Zelda games - Breath of the Wild, Wind Walker HD and Twilight Princess HD, Paper Mario Colour Splash, Mario 3D World, Batman Arkham City and NintendoLand!

Caporegime
OP
My local Facebook marketplace has one with 9 games but asking £150, at that price it doesn't seem worth it. (Especially as some games are kiddy ones).

Soldato
I think if you find one a good bit under 100 with games then it would be worth a punt, if budget allows then the Switch is the better option though.
I bought one cheap when Breath of the Wild came out and that was the only game I had. Games just didn't seem well priced given how much of a flop the thing was.
The tablet control pad had poor battery life and felt awkard to hold. It's a decent idea when it's used as a secondary screen though.

The CFW scene is there and decent, but even using that I've not really touched it since buying the Switch.

Soldato
No doubt the Switch is rhe superior machine but for value for money games the Wii U is a great piece of kit!

Yes the gamepad is a bit chunky but if you can find a decent deal with some games you want then I'd highly recommend it!

Associate
Zedla Twilight Princess and Wind Waker aren't (yet) available on Switch. Neither is Super Mario 3D World. Those 3 together make it worth getting a Wii U.

Associate
I wouldn't spend extra for a warranty. Have not hear of many issues of them failing. . .
I still have mine (and I own a Switch too) and I love it still. Connected to the TV in another room. Graphically it is very similar to the Nintendo switch I find. Playing super smash or mario kart on it is near identical an experience to playing it on the Switch.
Kirby Rainbow Paintbrush is another quality game not available on the Switch.

Associate
Xenoblade Chronicles X is also a really good game that is not out on the Switch so i would buy a used Wii U just for that. Doesn't have the best story compared to the other 2 but i really enjoyed it as much as Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Still waiting to play the 1st one on the switch when it gets remade.

Back
Top Bottom