Is it worth getting this car fixed?

Associate
Please help me make a rational decision..

My 2010 Toyota auris with 60K millage need fixing-cost £1400

Similar model and mileage used car on autotrader is around £4500

Problem with selling the old car is that the check engine light in on and wont go above 40mph, so wont be able to sell privately, I haven't asked, but I doubt the dealer will offer a decent price partEX

What would be the rational decision here?

Soldato
What needs fixing on it?

I'd also find a local indy garage and not a main stealer as they often put a large markup on it.

I honestly can't believe you're asking if it's worth getting it fixed when it's 3k more for a new car, that might develop the same issue.

Associate
OP
'that might develop the same issue.

I hadn't thought of that actually

Posting in motors section would have been to easy...

I thought of more of an finance question tbh..

In both cases you end up with a car of similar make/model and mileage.
One option costs you £1400, one option costs you £4500.

You are right, have to bite the bullet and pay the £1400. Don't have extra 4k to play with

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
This is important.

Yeah, I took the car to an independent garage for a diagnostic who told me it needs to be done at the dealer level.

Dealer sent me a report saying is "Engine Management Light on ,requires tsb eg-0087t-0710-en", but i probably get told off for not putting this in motor section if this gets too technical lol

Man of Honour
Yeah, I took the car to an independent garage for a diagnostic who told me it needs to be done at the dealer level.

Dealer sent me a report saying is "Engine Management Light on ,requires tsb eg-0087t-0710-en", but i probably get told off for not putting this in motor section if this gets too technical lol
Most dealers will charge a reasonable fee for diagnostics. I think VW charge £85 so I guess Toyota will charge a similar amount . I would get a dealer to diagnose the fault. Once you know for certai nnwhat it is then call several Indies asking how much to fix it.

How do you know it will cost £1400 when you don't know what the fault is? If Toyota quoted a price then presumably they told you what the fault is? If you Avent understood what they diagnosed then ask them to explain it in simple terms or email you the report and post the details here in motors.

Soldato
Most dealers will charge a reasonable fee for diagnostics. I think VW charge £85 so I guess Toyota will charge a similar amount . I would get a dealer to diagnose the fault. Once you know for certai nnwhat it is then call several Indies asking how much to fix it.

How do you know it will cost £1400 when you don't know what the fault is? If Toyota quoted a price then presumably they told you what the fault is? If you Avent understood what they diagnosed then ask them to explain it in simple terms or email you the report and post the details here in motors.

It actually says in the post you have quoted that the dealer sent him a report with the fault code...

Man of Honour
It actually says in the post you have quoted that the dealer sent him a report with the fault code...
Yes I know. But a fault code isn't a diagnosis. What does the fault code represent? What does it indicate needs further investigation or work?

Soldato
I would assume it's the bit where it says "Engine Management Light on ,requires tsb eg-0087t-0710-en" so it requires the part that matches the serial code.

OP, check for toyota fan pages on Facebook, post in there the dealer report and see if anyone can help you save any money on it :D

Man of Honour
OK. I misunderstood the TSB code as a fault code. But that still looks like a specific part number which needs replacing or alternatively a reference to a Technical Service Bulletin. The OP really needs to go back to the dealer and ask them to tell him in plain English what is broken.

Associate
OP
I would assume it's the bit where it says "Engine Management Light on ,requires tsb eg-0087t-0710-en" so it requires the part that matches the serial code.

OP, check for toyota fan pages on Facebook, post in there the dealer report and see if anyone can help you save any money on it :D

I hadnt thought of that.. tho I cant seem to find any page or forum covering this fault..

OK. I misunderstood the TSB code as a fault code. But that still looks like a specific part number which needs replacing or alternatively a reference to a Technical Service Bulletin. The OP really needs to go back to the dealer and ask them to tell him in plain English what is broken.

Good point, I will do that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don

For the ZR engines, Toyota Motor Europe NV / Sa had the TSB EG-0087T-0710 ("The failure of the controller for continuous variable valve lift leading to DTC P2647 and P104"), according to which the problem was solved by installing a modernized (R & R) Continuously variable valve lift controller.

Run the below page through google translate
http://alflash.com.ua/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1127

Soldato
there is a thread here too

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/182003-mysterious-valvematic-intermittent-power-loss/

Toyota Main Dealer charged £150 for diagnositc but said it couldnt be sure what it was. And wanted up to £600 for further investgation. Local independent Toyota Garage reckons the codes point to the "valvematic driver' part number 222A0-37014 (seems to be called CONTROLLER ASSY, CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE VALVE LIFT too??).

Part new from Toyota is apparently £864.74 + VAT plus labour. Cant immediately see they are easy to come across as 'used' parts, but dont know if I am looking in right place.
There was a Technical service bulletin for this issue for Avensis built pre Nov 2009 ref EG-0087T-0710-EN

The diagnostics seem sound the outcome for both fault codes listed is a new "Controller assy, continuously variable valve lift" and the part number listed is correct you will also need:

90301-38010 - O ring x1

90210-06013 - Washer x1

11159-37010 - camshaft bearing seal x1

90430-10024 - camshaft bearing seal x1

11213-0T020 - Rocker cover gasket 1.6 & 1.8 engines

11213-37020 - Rocker cover gasket 2.0 engine

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/177641-auris-16-petrol-valvematic-loses-power/
Symptoms kind of fit as these engines have no throttle plate, using the lift control to provide that function.

Was the engine management light coming on?

Do you know what Oil was used at the recent service? 0w20 is the preferred grade.

I think the actuator is electrical rather than being dependent on Oil pressure but I could be wrong.

I'd be checking connections etc. Given the intermittent nature of the fault. Change Oil and give it a good Italian tune up.

Got me worried about mine failing now though this does seem rare.

Jez

Associate
So whilst the answer here is fix it, it's quite easy to get in the trap of spending a lot of money to maintain / fix a terrible car (been there done, that + T-shirt). TBH I'd almost be tempted to take a break after a poor car experience sell it for what you can, then get a lease for 18 months (something cheap like an i30 for £2900 for 18 months etc).

Soldato
So whilst the answer here is fix it, it's quite easy to get in the trap of spending a lot of money to maintain / fix a terrible car (been there done, that + T-shirt). TBH I'd almost be tempted to take a break after a poor car experience sell it for what you can, then get a lease for 18 months (something cheap like an i30 for £2900 for 18 months etc).

That seems like terrible advice?
Spend £1400 to fix an otherwise perfectly serviceable, not very old reliable car and then sell it to rent another car for 18 months with nothing to show for it at the end :confused:

Back
Top Bottom