• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth going to a gtx680 from a gtx580?

Associate
Hi there I have a msi gtx580 twin frozr II I haven't overclocked the card. Would it be worthwhile upgrading to the new gtx680? I only play at 1080p. Or shall I overclock my gtx580 and wait for gtx685 or gtx690? If the answer is overclock my current card. Does anybody know what frequencies I can go to without having probs or burning anything out. I have a lian li x500b tower if air circulation makes a difference? Thanks

Associate
You will probably be able to go +50Mhz on both sliders without adding voltage, after 50 Mhz do it in 10Mhz jumps if you want to be careful. When it crashes add +.005v and re-try, make sure to keep your fan up as high as you can bare as coolness helps with Oc'ing.

Soldato
I only did it because i am on 120hz panel and use 3D Vision often which actually eats quite a lot of vram.:eek:

If i was on a 60hz panel at 1080p/1200p i wouldn't of done it but if you also have the intentions of going to 1440p or 1600p resolution then it can be worth it still though the price is too high really....as always with high end cards.

Soldato
my personal experience was this; I wanted to go SLI but couldn't find another 580 3GB cheap enough that it made sense, I put my 580 3GB up for sale at what seemed to me like a high price, but got it, so I'm in the process of upgrading to a 680

I would say that if you can get a good enough price on your 580 that it makes the upgrade not all that costly, then do it, or if you are experiencing problems running a game that you like, then do it

if you don't mind waiting, getting an even worse resale value on your current card and possibly turning down settings in the meantime then don't do it

worth is such a subjective term it really depends on what the "worth" of money in your pocket is versus how important your gaming is to you

580's should be able to get near 900mhz if you have a good clocker, or 850 as a minimum really

Associate
I went MSi TF II 580 to 680 and I'm really chuffed.

If you have the disposable means then I say Yes, it is worth it.

If you have saved and scrimped to upgrade for 1 big purchase, I say hold on for a few months longer and see if NV release the GK110.

Just my 2p worth.

AM

Back
Top Bottom