Is it worth touching this car / How much do you think it is worth?

Associate
Just seen this car on gumtree - It is very local to me so thought I would go view it.

HAs quite a few things wrong with it :
Previous Cat D (N)
Usual age related marks
EML light on due to faulty o2 sensor (got diagnostics done to prove)
One of the wheel bearings makes a slight sound.
Clutch is not great it is low and some times doesn't engage gear straight away. This only happens on occasions and it does NOT slip at all under acceleration.
Handbrake cable has snapped and does not hold very well.

How much do you think this car is worth / would you even go near it?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda/2004-ep3-civic-type-r/1316470462

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's not engaging gears correctly it could be bad syncros so if you do test drive try and determine if it's just a worn clutch or if there's actually gearbox issues. They're a fairly weak point of those cars.

Soldato
Is it worth touching this car? No

How much do you think it is worth? Hundreds of pounds as it sounds like an absolute hanger, certainly not thousands

Soldato
The fact that it's been presented for MOT's in the past with headlights out to me says the previous owners don't give a damn about maintaining it.

Bet it's sat on 4 mismatched ditchfinders and hasn't had an oil change for 5 years.

Soldato
Not to mention that it looks like pretty much the entire suspension needs replacing, the rear subframe is rusting away, the rear ARB is rusting away and there is unside rust.

And this is on top of it being a written off car, with a no handbrake, an EML light on and with no service history.

In fact, I don't think it's more than about £700.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Got to echo everyone and say - no, on balance it doesn't seem like that particular example is worth £2300. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it would only be worth taking on if the current owner paid you £2300 to take that pile from him. And even then I'd think you got mildly ripped off.

Back
Top Bottom