Is it wrong of me to want to spend £8500.00 on this?

Associate
Buy it! :D Pity it hasnt got the G60 motah in it though.

6x more expensive than my MkII but 100x tidier lol! Mine has small bumpers though ;)

Soldato
no way, 8.5k will get you a 530i Sport.

picshimanocardiffa7.jpg

Soldato
if it was a tidy standard g60 then yes.

with a 1.8t conversion and some bodywork chopping its not my cup of tea.

Soldato
to the OP, it depends wether you are going to run it as a daily driver or are going to store it. the g60 engine has gone so no worries of the charger letting go but if you are buying this as a daily, i think you'd be petrified to take it anywhere through fear of damage,vandalism,wear and tear. this is a sublime example, don't know why the owner chaged to a tt engine other than the realiability issue as i think it's a shame to remove the g60 engine from an original as they were quite rare. i could be getting confused but i thought vw classed this colour as aubergine, not purple but that could just be me getting my wires crossed. if you have the luxury of £8.5k (the wheels are a must) to spend on a car you can only use on sunny weekends, do it, if you were going to use this as a daily driver, i personally wouldn't.

Soldato
colour iirc is aubergine. and to be fair without the g60 lump and from what i've heard about this car its nothing special.

plenty of better examples out there tbh g60 lump isnt unreliable as long as you maintain it right.

Soldato
plenty of better examples out there tbh g60 lump isnt unreliable as long as you maintain it right.

true. but the superchargers are expensive if they fail though it's a good excuse to upgrade the unit. the fact this car has been resprayed would be the biggest deal breaker for me in this.

Soldato
true. but the superchargers are expensive if they fail though it's a good excuse to upgrade the unit. the fact this car has been resprayed would be the biggest deal breaker for me in this.

chargers aint that dear

stage 2 rebuild is circa £350 from jabbasport

Associate
If it was RHD mk2 and not a originally a g60 would it be less?

Personally I like it, but 2k for those wheels, not sure. He obviously will take less if you don't need the roof fixed

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
other than that, they are both overpriced ****ters.

Worst base ever for an engine conversion.

Over priced? Possibly. Remember though, the price of tidy mk2 Golfs has shot up over the past year and those cars have clearly had huge amounts of money spent on them. Something is only 'worth' what people are willing to pay, and judging by the OP they are getting interest at that price...

Putting the price aside, to call them '****ers' and a bad base for an engine conversion is so far off the mark it's unreal. The mk2 Golf is a great car, with predictable, progressive handling. It's also fairly light. Sounds like a good base to me....

Last edited:
Associate
the g60 chassis is a lot stronger than the standard gti as it was developed by vw motorsport, i have had an ed1 g60 and standard g60 in the past and they were both fantastic to drive even as LHD.

also my last mk2 had a 300hp 20vt lump in it, the car cost around £5000 and once id had my fun it moved on for the same cost. These cars will hold value or in so case go up in value.

Soldato
The mk2 Golf is a great car, with predictable, progressive handling. It's also fairly light. Sounds like a good base to me....

That might have been the case before they were slammed to the ground and had the wrong size tyres fitted to the rims. I doubt much of the acclaimed handling attributes remain in these examples...

Back
Top Bottom