Is loss of power an MOT fail?

Soldato
I'm getting an engine error which relates to fuel malfunction with the injectors. It basically mean there's an incorrect air/fuel ration getting to a cylinder. I've been told the injector o ring(s) may need replaced or the inlet seals.

Is this actually an MOT fail, it's not directly a safety problem is it, just like a slipping clutch is not a fail?

Soldato
If the EML is on then pretty sure that can be classed as a failure, also if it's not running correctly (loss of power would it not be burning fuel optimally) could that make it fail emissions?

Soldato
Engine light on is an automatic fail under the new MOT rules.

I think any warning light is a fail isn't it?

I had taken my passenger seat out a while back to make space for stuff and as such had the passenger airbag warning light illuminated. I phoned the garage to ask if that would fly and was told the light would cause a fail. They didn't seem bothered about whether my car had a passenger seat or not, just that the light was lit.

Man of Honour
I think any warning light is a fail isn't it?

I had taken my passenger seat out a while back to make space for stuff and as such had the passenger airbag warning light illuminated. I phoned the garage to ask if that would fly and was told the light would cause a fail. They didn't seem bothered about whether my car had a passenger seat or not, just that the light was lit.

AFAIK (but not looked it up) a warning light on any safety feature is a fail - not necessarily any warning light. They won't got into specifics as to why a safety feature warning is on and whether that means it might or might not be a problem.

Soldato
Looking it up, seems like EML is an instant fail.

Bad injector seals will kill the engine eventually though. So might not need to worry about the next one :p

Man of Honour
I love all the talk of "instant fail" and "automatic fail" that you get in MOT and law breaking related discussions.

Instant fail as opposed to what? A belated fail? A gradual fail? An epic fail? :p

Soldato
I love all the talk of "instant fail" and "automatic fail" that you get in MOT and law breaking related discussions.

Instant fail as opposed to what? A belated fail? A gradual fail? An epic fail? :p

As in once they see they will fail it straight away, they won't even bother checking anything else :)

Back
Top Bottom