Is lots of tea bad?

Permabanned
Dutch Guy said:
I used to drink a lot of coffee at work but recently I changed to drinking tea.

But isn't drinking 10 to 12 cups of tea bad in some way?

Certain types have different properties but hell I know which is best for you.

Might be the grease in the teabags, real tea is the loose stuff tbh.

Associate
The last scientific report that I heard of, said that drinking lots of Tea (6+ cups a day) helped prevent cancer, due to the rich antioxidants involved.

But then again, they seem to change their tune every couple of years.

Permabanned
JudgeC said:
The last scientific report that I heard of, said that drinking lots of Tea (6+ cups a day) helped prevent cancer, due to the rich antioxidants involved.

But then again, they seem to change their tune every couple of years.

Dwindling coffee sales, maybe.

Man of Honour
Tea is very good for you but remember that it still contains caffeine so 12 cups a day means a lot of that particular drug. Tea is certainly full of anti oxidants and other good stuff but you could try drinking Green Tea or better still Red Bush Tea, both are antioxidant rich and the latter is caffeine free, tastes nice as well.

Capodecina
Permabanned
Dutch Guy said:
I don't use suger but sweetener.

And water is for fish to swim in :p

You'll get used to drinking water and actually like it if you start doing it regularly.

The only reason I drink any coffee/tea anymore at all is because there's a free machine in the office, and that's 1 cup a day max.

Do yourself a favour and try drinking more water :)

Sweeteners usually aren't too good for you.

Associate
Magic_x_uk said:
I heard 'pound for pound' there is more caffeine in Tea than Coffee ?

Yes, I was being told that but it varies significantly. The confusion arises because when measured in its dry form, tea does contain more caffeine than coffee, but the caffeine content of a prepared cup of coffee is significantly higher than the caffeine content of a prepared cup of tea.

According to the Snopes forum there is a little overlap because of different makes, types, growing conditions, lots of annoying variables:

Coffee, brewed - 40 to 180 mg. per cup

Coffee, instant - 30 to 120 mg. per cup

Coffee, decaffeinated - 3 to 5 mg. per cup

Tea, brewed American - 20 to 90 mg. per cup

Tea, brewed imported - 25 to 110 mg. per cup

Tea, instant - 28 mg. per cup

http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm
http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/108/t/000817/p/1.html

Permabanned
eLbot said:
Yes, I was being told that but it varies significantly. The confusion arises because when measured in its dry form, tea does contain more caffeine than coffee, but the caffeine content of a prepared cup of coffee is significantly higher than the caffeine content of a prepared cup of tea.

According to the Snopes forum there is a little overlap because of different makes, types, growing conditions, lots of annoying variables:

Coffee, brewed - 40 to 180 mg. per cup

Coffee, instant - 30 to 120 mg. per cup

Coffee, decaffeinated - 3 to 5 mg. per cup

Tea, brewed American - 20 to 90 mg. per cup

Tea, brewed imported - 25 to 110 mg. per cup

Tea, instant - 28 mg. per cup

http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm
http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/108/t/000817/p/1.html

I thought all tea was imported.

Soldato
nothing like having one when you wake up, one late at night and maybe one mid day when you are thirsty, as it was scientifically proven that a hot drink will cool you down more than a cool drink.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Sinny said:
as it was scientifically proven that a hot drink will cool you down more than a cool drink.

Does it not just warm you up inside making it feel as though your cooler on the outside? I doubt adding a hot drink to a warm body would cause it to cool down... unless it made you sweat more?

Man of Honour
Hey - don't worry about drinking too much tea.. It'll just mean you'll be paying more visits to the loo and your skin will be nicely tanned.. In fact, for a decent all over tan.. sit in a bath full of PG tips .. get the Mrs to add milk and sugar.. Kill two bird and all that :D

Permabanned
Too much of anything is bad for you.

Drinking a lot of tea means you'll be drinking a decent wedge of caffeine still, a shed-load of anti-oxidants (these are good, but not in big quantities) and plenty of sugar (disregard this of course if you have tea without it)

I would say it's probably better for you than the same amount of coffee, but 12 cups a day is too high.

Back
Top Bottom