Is MGSV worth playing today without the previous games?

Associate
Metal Gear Solid 5 is on sale and i was thinking about picking it up, but wanted to know if you need any familiarity with the series or is there enough good game there to not worry about it?

Soldato
It's a good game in its own right, but I felt that it lacked a little of metal gear magic for me, likely caused by the lack of Hideo at the helm..

The game is a little strange to anyone who hasn't encountered the universe before, but definitely worth picking up for cheap. :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
I loved MGS4 but never quite got into MGS5 in the same way. It was really good but just lacked something and I stopped playing at some point in the campaign.

Associate
I still enjoyed V overall, the initial MGSV Ground Zeroes Mission is a smaller open World that does work well, especially for doing missions many different ways, some of the MGSV Phantom Pain open World parts don't work as well as they're just too big, still some good mission though.

Has a super indulgent opening as well from Kojima, takes a while to do near anything at all like playing a game but picks up a lot. I did enjoy some of the collecting and base building elements too.

As mentioned especially 3 is an amazing game, but many are worth playing in series, I enjoyed the Nes version and Gameboy Ghost Babel, and the original MSX games. Well worth picking up the HD collections for 360 or PS3 if you can play via backwards compatibility, they include 2, 3 and Peace Walker.

Soldato
I appreciate it isn't answering the question but as a gamer you really owe it to yourself to play MGS2/3, regardless. They are truly magical.
And especially the first game too. 1/2 and 3 are / were amazing. And they still play pretty well.

3 was my favourite. The Cold War setting was great.

Associate
Bit of a weird one MGS5, I was completely engaged and loved it for around the first 20 missions. I then didn't play one night and just left it unfinished for months, no desire to go back to it for some reason.

When I did finally go back I just couldn't get into it, I forced myself to somewhat see the story to completion, but I've never really enjoyed it since.

The first 4 are all solid games and it can be hard to rank them, they do each have their weaknesses though. I always found the first couple of hours of MGS4 to be the best gameplay wise, but the rest of the game just isn't quite as good, plus it's horrendously short on replays so those first few hours turns into 30-45 minutes.

Soldato
The story is a mess but the gameplay is top tier.
You don't need any knowledge of the previous games, just know that the lead writer is insane and your be fine.

There's a mini prequel to this game called ground zeroes, its basically one level with loads of missions. If you can get it really cheap I would say try that first.

Back
Top Bottom