• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my 580 going bad?

Associate
Right so, I will just randomly be using my PC and my screen will go to standby mode and wont switch back on. Has done this a few times during desktop browsing and sometimes during a game. The game hasn't frozen cuz Im not hearing sound loops or anything as such.

Im forced to do a hard reboot off pc everytime. Happened about 6 times now in the past 2 days......I've not installed any new drivers for a while.

what do you guys think?

Associate
sound like the problem I had a while ago. My problem was the power supply cables to the GPU. My cables are quite thick and had to be bend over at the ends to fit into the sockets in my GTX 580. Initially I thought that the plugs had just wiggled out of the sockets over time, pushing them back in seemed to work for a while and then I would get the same problem, sometimes with my pc rebooting.
In the end I used two spare cables that came with my psu and re-routed them so they went in straighter, all has been ok the last month or so,
I probably loosened the connections between the cable and the end fitting by bending them over so tightly

Last edited:
Associate
I would have thought its a hardware issue rather than drivers, a faulty driver wouldn't stop the signal to the monitor and put it in standby would it.

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
If you haven't made any changes to your system drivers/hardware, and it's started all of a sudden then it looks like a faulty card. It shouldn't be crashing at desktop. Does it still do it if you lower the clocks and voltage to stock?

Associate
OP
Not tried lowering the stock and voltage but I got it at a stable clock running crysis 2 and bfbc2 dx11 to the point it never crashed. Now it's crashing at desktop all of a sudden. :( will try n reseat the gpu. If not will give ocuk a call on Monday. Will also put clocks to stock.

Back
Top Bottom