• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my 980ti a bottleneck? Draw times included.

Associate
The game 'Squad' had a decent map update over the weekend which has left me with quite a drop in FPS, I'm not that clued up on draw times but this is what I'm seeing during those very low FPS moments:

35.37fps
28.27ms

Frame: 28.42ms
Game: 3.87ms
Draw: 1.82ms
GPU: 28.43ms

Screen shot with 'Stat Unit' & 'Stat FPS' enabled:
http://i.imgur.com/Y01a4gF.jpg

Y01a4gF.jpg

My 7700k is running at 4.9GHz so maybe my 980ti FTW (stock clocks) can't keep up. I play at 3440x1440 with all settings on EPIC (no AA).

So if it is a GPU bottleneck, would OC'ing it help? (Never done that before but can't be that hard). Or would down clocking my CPU help?

FYI the only reason there is a 980ti in this build is because I'm waiting for EVGA to release the 1080ti hybrid.

Last edited:
Associate
Overclocking your gtx 980 ti is definitely going to help (1450/7800 should be possible without breaking a sweat), while downclocking the 7700K is only going to make it worse (you won't notice a huge difference due to the gpu being the limiting factor, but downclocking will always result in worse performance unless the clock isn't stable and you aren't providing a high enough voltage).

Associate
OP
Thanks lads, I'll look in to overclocking the 980ti until the 1080ti is available then.

You're right, Squad isn't in a great state of optimisation but my system ran it perfectly before the latest update, buttery smooth 70-80fps average no matter what map or how full the server was.

I'm pretty sure the latest update has had an adverse affect on my particular hardware setup but for whatever reason those draw times show a GPU bottleneck if I understand them correctly? Maybe the extra map detail (and there's a lot of new detail on some maps) is just too much for the 980ti to handle now, it handles other games much much better on my system but admittedly they are AAA titles.

The 1080ti hybrid was always on the shopping list for this build so I'm not at all concerned about it, I just wanted some clarification on whether those draw times are showing a GPU bottleneck for me on this particular version of Squad.

Associate
980Ti is a beast of an overclocker - all models. My 3x 980Ti reference cards all overclocked 25% on the GPU and 11% on the vram. So if you haven't overclocked yet, do it - there is so much more potential in Maxwell.

Associate
OP
Had a quick go at my 980ti FTW with Afterburner.

Started with the memory clock, Heaven seems stable at +400MHz (crashed at +450MHz)

But the core clock crashes Heaven after about a minute at only +45MHz (stable at +40MHz)

That seem right?

Power limit is set to 110% and Temp limit to 91°C

It reaches 76°C with Heaven running.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Heaven score with stock clocks

FPS 44.2
Score 1113
Min FPS 29.4
Max FPS 88.5

Heaven score with Mem +400MHz & Core +50MHz

FPS 47.2
Score 1201
Min FPS 29.5
Max FPS 95.8

Soldato
Check your graphical settings. Ive known game updates to bring something new graphically and enble it by default or just change settings. Annoying i know when you have found your perfect settings.
Could be a possibility

Associate
Had a quick go at my 980ti FTW with Afterburner.

Started with the memory clock, Heaven seems stable at +400MHz (crashed at +450MHz)

But the core clock crashes Heaven after about a minute at only +45MHz (stable at +40MHz)

That seem right?
Wrong you should always start with core overclock and when you find max stable then you overclock memory because one can affect the other and performance from memory overcloking is minimal compared to core overclock.

Associate
Haha OK, I was following this guide: https://youtu.be/68WJYeRM-SE

Total noob to GPU OC so what would be considered decent stable figures for memory and core on a 980ti? I'll have another go and do it the other way around!
I'd say that you should aim for ~1500 core and 8000 mem.
What is your card boosting to at stock.? Because mine is sitting at 1400 at stock and max I can push it to is 1500 (100% stable in everything).

Back
Top Bottom