Is my board Limiting my performance?

Associate
Hi All

So i have a 3900x and a 3080 in my system. However my motherboard is from Gen1 Ryzen. Its a Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming ITX/AC However im really struggling with FPS in Flightsim. I have decent Ram but my GPU usage is fairly low as is my CPU usage. Its game dependant often but I feel there is a bottle neck somewhere. Could my MOBO be the issue being so old?

What sort of penalty would you expect running an old Mobo on a more recent CPU/GPU?

If so what would be a good contender? mATX is all I have room for.

Soldato
Your motherboard is pcie3 which wont hinder the 3080 even though it's pcie4. The diffrence in performance between pcie3 v pcie4 is only a few percent take a look at reviews.

What resoloution you gaming at and what speed is your ram ?

Associate
OP
Associate
3440 x 1440 is the Resolution and this is my Ram kit 3200mhz

do other factors come into play? Chipset etc? I know that Gen3=4 is minimal but i was wondering if it could be holding back in other ways.

No, your RAM is fine speed wise.

You might want to consider getting another set of that kit so that you have 32gigs. I don't know exactly what your RAM usage is during gaming but FlightSims often use a ton.

Check task manager and see. If' it's 95% usage, it's holding your rig back.

You're also playing at 4K which is going to be a struggle to play at high FPS any which way you cut it.

Associate
OP
No, your RAM is fine speed wise.

You might want to consider getting another set of that kit so that you have 32gigs. I don't know exactly what your RAM usage is during gaming but FlightSims often use a ton.

Check task manager and see. If' it's 95% usage, it's holding your rig back.

You're also playing at 4K which is going to be a struggle to play at high FPS any which way you cut it.
Thanks I will check the Ram situation later. I believe that since it got ported to Xbox the ram requirement dropped a fair bit. Its only using about 30-40% CPU and GPU and getting 20-30fps. looking online i should be getting double this so im getting a bottleneck somewhere. Thats why i was wondering if a motherboard could make much difference. The RAM is overclocked slightly anyway too.

Top Bottom