Is my chair more comfortable AND more noble than yours?... Yeah, probably

Soldato
Much like a great man once said, I have a dream.

Now my dream is petty, it is materialistic and self serving, and I might admit probably not as important as his dream, but a dream it is, and if you don't have a dream then how you gonna have a dream come true?

My dream is to have a nice little gaming setup, and to sit in great comfort whilst wasting hours of my life online.

I've been lucky enough to upgrade my 'Man Cupboard' recently, and one of my massive indulgences was a real leather, midnight blue, noble Icon.

amvks3g.jpg

A beauty I'm sure you agree.

I also needed to increase my desk space to accomodate my shiny new toys. Now, I couldn't find any desks that were wide enough, but I did find a whacking great table top that was the perfect width and as I was very happy with my original desk anyway.

So like any half arsed bloke I simply slung the tabletop onto the desk...

eWcCyiN.jpg

"Well done Chris, you're practically a carpenter now!" I hear you say, but wait!!

Turns out my act of uncommon genius has a flaw. The desk being a standard height, plus a thick tabletop, makes it higher than the arm rests on my chair :eek:.

WmllD4M.jpg

This is actually more uncomfortable than it may look too!

So, they say necessity is the mother of all invention, right?

What can I do to address this? How do I modify the chair without incorporating an inferior product and diluting the precision German engineering?

Well, turns out that if you get a couple more of the noble back pillows and crudely lash them on to the arms with the straps they come with, then they fit perfecly against the desk.

FNayMi2.jpg

NTZ1cDR.jpg

Now not only do my elbows rest in line with the desk, but due to the velvety, cushiony goodness, they feel like they're being given a warm hug by @5UB himself.

Finally, a gratuitous 'look how pleased I am with all my new stuff' shot...

3bUo67p.jpg

P.S. Where's the noble merch? Mugs etc?? I'd definitely buy a mug!

Soldato
Yeah yours is definitely more comfortable And more noble and prettier than mine lol
Mines so bad I tried to photograph it and it spun round and turned its back on the camera
Mine probably escaped from a skip
I Need to use one of those coccyx cushions so it's bearable
Just can't decide whether to get a chair like yours or go for one of those all day use office chairs
I can't help feeling the gaming chair tag may put a premium on the price?
Having a back problem I really want comfort more than looks but perhaps yours is both?
And nice to see I am not the only one to give a nice tabletop a new life sitting on top of drawers as a desk lol

Soldato
You could have a small platform/stage under the chair this raising its height instead which is a lot of extra work, won't look as good but you will get to play with tools which earns you man points.

Associate
Yeah yours is definitely more comfortable And more noble and prettier than mine lol
Mines so bad I tried to photograph it and it spun round and turned its back on the camera
Mine probably escaped from a skip
I Need to use one of those coccyx cushions so it's bearable
Just can't decide whether to get a chair like yours or go for one of those all day use office chairs
I can't help feeling the gaming chair tag may put a premium on the price?
Having a back problem I really want comfort more than looks but perhaps yours is both?
And nice to see I am not the only one to give a nice tabletop a new life sitting on top of drawers as a desk lol

If you have back issues I would suggest getting an office chair instead of one of these racer style seats, I have back issues and I use the Ikea Markus with some modifications

Soldato
If you have back issues I would suggest getting an office chair instead of one of these racer style seats, I have back issues and I use the Ikea Markus with some modifications
Thanks
Yeah been looking at
So called 24 Hour office chairs
Including some with adjustable /inflatable lumbar support
Think that might be best bet
Luckily got family member who outfits London offices ~the stuff they get him to remove is crazy when they replace office fittings
I feel a favour from them coming up
Even though hate asking for something for nothing
They wouldn't take any cash for it even if I insisted

Associate
Thanks
Yeah been looking at
So called 24 Hour office chairs
Including some with adjustable /inflatable lumbar support
Think that might be best bet
Luckily got family member who outfits London offices ~the stuff they get him to remove is crazy when they replace office fittings
I feel a favour from them coming up
Even though hate asking for something for nothing
They wouldn't take any cash for it even if I insisted

Nice, see if that family member can get hold of a used Herman Miller that is meant to be the best office chair, new they cost about £1000 but used you can get them for about £300

Associate
Necessity is the mother of invention, a nice mod for sure.

Also the Noblechairs Hero is officially classed as an ergonomic office chair by the EU, there's absolutely no trouble working full time on them. Did another 10 hour shift on mine yesterday. I'd much rather a Noblechairs Hero than a Markus for that purpose as the standard Markus has horribly curved non adjustable arms, though a modded one with adjustable arms is nice.

As a heads up many of those cheaper "24 hour rated" office chairs are total garbage. Definitely do your research before you buy.

Soldato
Nice, see if that family member can get hold of a used Herman Miller that is meant to be the best office chair, new they cost about £1000 but used you can get them for about £300
Herman miller was mentioned in another post I saw
Guess that's top of the list
Some of the big corporations he does will replace something like that just because the ceo is bored with the decor
Shameful really
But if I get one free that's not so shameful lol

Soldato
OP
Herman miller was mentioned in another post I saw
Guess that's top of the list
Some of the big corporations he does will replace something like that just because the ceo is bored with the decor
Shameful really
But if I get one free that's not so shameful lol
Only thing I’ll say, and this is from research and not experience... Chairs seem to be incredibly subjective.
Some people find £1200 Herman Millers uncomfortable.
If you can (which is often easier said than done), sit on a few before you buy.

I got lucky. Didn’t try the Icon, and I love it, but if you can avoid the risk then all the better.

Soldato
Yes makes sense
What suits one may not suit all
Same as mattresses
Yeah finding somewhere you can actually park your bum on one to try it
Isn't easy
I wonder if somewhere like a large wholesaler would have some
Failing that as aiming at a free herman miller
If I hate it can sell it and be ahead of the game in my hunt for a different chair lol
Family member won't mind as he's getting it free anyway when he clears an office
I will just put some beers behind the bar for him. :)

Associate
@Mcnumpty2323, we have Herman Miller Aeron's at my work. Personally, I've found the Aeron to be great and I have plenty of colleagues that love the Aeron but I also have colleagues who don't like it at all.

I couldn't afford a new Aeron for home (didnt' fancy a 2nd hand one either) and so I spent a lot of time researching an affordable alternative. After months of reading reviews and watching reviews on YouTube for various chairs (including Ikea ones), the reviews of the Noblechairs Hero swayed me. So, last week, I bought one, and I have to say, I have no regrets. It's really good, plenty of support and after a few days wear, it's really comfortable. I've spent probably 8+ hours a day in it for the last four or five days and have found it to be fantastic (it was a touch hard the first two or three days, but it's softened nicely). I've read plenty of reviews of people having them for a long time and saying that they still feel as good as new (despite in some cases the chair reportedly taking a lot of abuse), so personally, I'm really happy with the purchase.

The thing is, as others have said, chair's are subjective and one chair doesn't fit all, that said, in the same way the majority of the Herman Miller Aeron reviews are very positive, the same is true for the Hero (I can't speak for the other Noblechairs because I've never tried them). What I'm saying is, IMO if you are the right size for it, then the Hero is worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom