Is my HDD dying?

Associate
Last night my Intel storage controller reported a ton of failed read/writes on one of my RAID0 drives. They're both 500GB Seagate 7200.11's. I disbanded the RAID and ran seatools on it and it reported a bunch of failed LBAs. Ran the long test and it failed, saying it couldn't recover the blocks.

Fast forward to now, just tried it again. Let it scan until it got to 3%, picked up a bunch of failed addresses and actually repaired them this time.

What does a failed LBA mean? Is the drive likely to be on its way out? Can I return it? What can I doooooooo?

Soldato
I just came across this guy who seems to be a pretty good expert on the whole subject. Also lists some free software to try

http://www.myharddrivedied.com/presentations/presentations_software.html

LBA is logical block address I think which suggests a software error maybe indicative of hardware problems or not.
Quickest check I know on a working os is with speedfan, generally if in doubt backup up anything non replaceable because errors often can come before total failure especially on raid 0

Associate
OP
Thanks for the link. I actually managed to get all the data off it without a problem so I reran the test, got the Seagate test code and just opened an RMA with them. I don't mind waiting for a replacement :)

Back
Top Bottom