• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my i3 3220 holding my 7850 2GB back?

Soldato
I have an i3 3220 along with an overclocked 7850 2GB (1150/1225).

In Sleeping Dogs with VSYNC OFF, I'm not always getting maximum GPU usage. Does this indicate a CPU bottleneck?

I'm under the impression that the GPU should ALWAYS be 99% GPU usage, but I notice that mine fluctuates between 80% and 99% on Sleeping Dogs.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks

Caporegime
Thanks for confirming guys. I have been helping Tom overclock his gpu in the graphics section (amd overclock thread) and i thought he had a slightl bottleneck but i wanted some other confirmation before i told him to buy a new cpu/motherboard. :)

Associate
I'd personally just upgrade the CPU to a 3570K. The 7850 graphics card is very capable, especially when overclocked. It should easily see you through till at least the next generation of graphics cards.

Soldato
OP
So just go for the cpu then guys? I'm not bothered about ocing the cpu for now so the motherboard is okay to stay as is?

Also how can I be fully sure it's bottlenecking?

Soldato
OP
Ok, so a few things.

When I put AA on extreme in Sleeping Dogs, GPU Usage is always 99% - Does this still resemble a bottleneck?

Will a STOCK i5 3570k bottleneck with my 7850? Will I see a noticeable performance increase?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom