Is my internet speed ok for 4k HEVC streaming?

Associate
Just downloaded a steam game and my max download is 8.4mbs

Is that good enough for Plex streaming?

My data is on my HTPC (ethernet) via Plex to Plex on my Nvidia shield TV

My Nvidia shield is connected via 5ghz WiFi.... I would like to add ethernet but I would need to drill holes through brickwork :(

I do own one of these - TP-Link RE355 AC1200 Wi-Fi
https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/qQV9efrBnFsWKX7bKpTpAS0VCaKYcYF97FTwVOOlubw

^ It has a ethernet net port out so turns WiFi into ethernet

Any advice? :)

Soldato
I’d guess your WiFi is faster than your internet so the download from steam speed may be irrelevant. I’m guessing you mean 8.4MBps which I’d further guess means you’re on a good FTTC connection? If you’re on some sort of fibre package in excess of 80Mbps like virgin then it may be your WiFi is indeed the limiting factor. I know this doesn’t answer your question but it is a useful thing to ascertain before next steps to see if it’s enough.

Soldato
Plex streaming to/from where?

If it's local then the WAN speed is irrelevant.

If you're wanting to stream to a device outside of you LAN then it's the upload speed that'll matter. You then need to tailor your video rate to the speed that's available.

Soldato
If it's within the home you just need suitably fast wireless or wired network. Your speed of connection out to the Internet can be completely ignored.

Soldato
I would like to add ethernet but I would need to drill holes through brickwork :(

The first hole is the most expensive. A semi-decent hammer drill is £75. The masonry bit to go in it will be £15-ish for a 300mm (you’ll need something that size I’d imagine) plus your cabling (say another £80 for 100m of CAT6, an EZ RJ45 tool and some plugs, a cable cutter tool and some electricians scissors). £200 tops to do the job right. Full 1GbE connection speed, no losses when the sunspots are bad and a huge feeling of accomplishment. Run the cable. You can do it!

Soldato
It is SO rewarding. I remember the first time I put up a wireless access point. I was strutting around the house shouting at anyone who would listen ‘Look - full signal!’. The newer the house, the easier it is generally, but older houses are more solid so things don’t tend to fall off walls quite so much.

Soldato
Think carefully before weaponising your significant other, once they view your tools as a communal asset, it’s a slippery slope.

Back
Top Bottom