Is my motherboard m.2 nvme compatible?

Associate
Hi guys do you know if my mb is m.2 nvme compatible and will it let me boot from it as my os drive?

My mb is a gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI.

Associate
OP
I know is has a m.2 slot and is ssd compatible. Just need to know if I can get a faster nvme drive in there and boot from it.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can get full speed from an nvme drive by installing it in a pcie adapter in one of the x16 lanes from the cpu.

90 series and later Intel mainstream boards should all have the modules in the bios to allow boot from an nvme drive.

Soldato
That M.2 slot on the board is limited up to 10 Gb/s. Most quick NVME drives will want PCIe GEN 3.0 x 4 for 32 Gb/s. You will limit the NVME speeds on that motherboard slot. As suggested if you do go NVMe route, get a add in PCIe card to link directly with the CPU.

EDIT: Ignore, can see bandwidth bit pointed out already :p

Associate
OP
Cheers guys, I'm not interested in getting a PCIe card so is my best bet just getting a sata version of a m.2 drive?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think you mean a sata m.2 drive. No, an nvme drive will still be faster with the constrained bandwidth.
Sorry my mistake (corrected) yes a sata drive. Ah ok I'll go for a nvme drive then! Once again thanks for your help guys :) now to find a 500gb in a black Friday deal :)

Associate
Sorry my mistake (corrected) yes a sata drive. Ah ok I'll go for a nvme drive then! Once again thanks for your help guys :) now to find a 500gb in a black Friday deal :)

*** Please read the rules regarding competitor hinting/linking ***
- Armageus

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Yes your board will boot with the NVME in it as long as you got the latest BIOS installed.

I have a similar board Z97X-UD3H-BK , which i got just brought a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo on a deal and installed and booted without issue. If you are not running any other drives like me. I have switched off the ACHI/RAID options on my BIOS and it still runs about 800MB/s for read/writes.

Vs a SATA SSD , its slightly more snappier but i was more needing the capacity than the speed.

Associate
OP
Yes your board will boot with the NVME in it as long as you got the latest BIOS installed.

I have a similar board Z97X-UD3H-BK , which i got just brought a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo on a deal and installed and booted without issue. If you are not running any other drives like me. I have switched off the ACHI/RAID options on my BIOS and it still runs about 800MB/s for read/writes.

Vs a SATA SSD , its slightly more snappier but i was more needing the capacity than the speed.

Sweet that's good to know, already on the latest bios so ready to go :)

Back
Top Bottom