Is my PSU is becoming faulty. Help me diagnose.

Associate
Preface, it is way out of warranty (bought in 06) and I'd do almost anything I can to test and attempt to fix it before I opt to buy a new one.

The PSU I have is an Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGA1000EWL - this PSU has a feature called 'Powerguard' that is intended to help users identify issues by way of (loud) beeping and light indication. I am getting blinking red light and interval beeping which the chart would have me believe is 'PSU Fan Abnormal'.

Now, the strange part is when the issue is occurring. The first time I got it was withing a few minutes of gameplay in 'Dishonoured'. The beeping first happened when I had a choice selection menu appear, again later on during a pretty empty and non intensive scene, I was able to prompt the beeping by opening a 'chat/select the option' menu in gameplay and when I came out of that it would stop. The beeping would start if I looked into a specific corner of a wall or I found a specific sink that would trigger the beeping. Hardly intensive scenes. I used a temporary fix and STOPPED playing, peace of mind was had...

The beeping issue reared it's ugly head this past weekend when I tried 'Payday : The Heist' (another unreal engine game? - correlation not proven) the beeping would happen at seemingly random points and not triggered by pressure on the GPU. For example looking at the floor in a specific place of the map could start the beeping, looking away stop it and looking at the same floor tile start the beeping again.

These are the only two times the PSU 'Powerguard' beeps. Put a solid 50 hours into 'Borderlands 2' between these two occasions and that went smoothly. Cannot get it to beep with any other games I've tried, benching with heaven and 3DMark, Kombustor even... Tried my old 5850 and my current 7870 and the issue is the same. Tried whacking voltage into the GPU, over and underclocking my CPU, same issue in the same place regardless.

Temps are nowhere near worrysome levels on either GPU or CPU.

At this point I'm open to try pretty much anything with the PSU to test or fix the issue. Have access to a multimeter but little knowledge of what I'm doing.

How can I test to make sure the PSU isn't potentially damaging my system components and where do I go from here. As mentioned at the top, will try what I can before purchasing anew.

Thanks

Soldato
Look at the 4-pin molex connect, which in past was almost always used to power harddrives and CD drives. It will have 4 wires, like this: Red, Black, Black, Yellow.

Red is +5v
Black nearest the red cable is -5v
Black nearest the yellow cable is -12v
Yellow is +12v

Elsewhere you will have an orange wire (motherboard connector). This is 3.3v.
Measure the voltage between +12 and -12v cables. The ideal voltage would be 12v, but you should allow for 5% either way. Outside the 5% range, and I would be concerned.

Now these are the voltage ranges you should be seeing:
3.3v: 3.14-3.47v
5v: 4.76-5.25v
12v: 11.43-12.60v

In the worst case scenario, allow for 10%. But, frankly, I would bin my PSU if it was outside the 5% margins!

Associate
OP
Right, tested voltages with the PC loaded.

3.3v : 3.37v
5v : 5.07v
12v : 12.23v

These look to be well within safe limits.

Also in testing stuck another fan next to an air intake parallel to the rear (where there is no fan). This was to dispel any probability that it could be an issue related to heat within the PSU. Problem continues.

What I have noted whilst probing about the PSU is that while the beeping is in progress I can press and hold the 'Powerguard' clear button (at least I assume it serves this purpose from what I've read). Holding this button in stops the beeping. Time for some selotape..?

Where do I go from here? Guess my options are:

1. Fan/s are actually developing issues - Buy replacement fans.

or

2. Fan sensor is faulty - ignore the issue, fix in the button to clear the error messages and install a temperature sensor (alarm) in my PSU

Any other ideas? Troubleshooting or fixing.

EDIT:

Bought these: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-056-AK

and

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-023-AK

Getting here thursday, will let you know what happens when I get them in the PSU. I'm not optimistic.

EDIT: Just noticed my thread title error, Oops.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Quick update for the archives of the internet browsing this et al.

The fan headers inside the Enermax Galaxy 1KW are not standard 3pin attachments but rather a micro version (forgive me, I don't know their actual name) of the 3pin fan connector similar to what you would find on a typical GPU fan.

The fans I bought featured standard 3pin connections, so what with lack of patience and a limited budget I opted to cut up my cables and attach the miniature connectors already present in the PSU to my new fans in place of the standard 3pin connections.

Soldered them up, taped them up, heatshrink'd 'em nice and tidy. PSU is now so much quieter than previously, the fans don't put out quite as much air as the stock ones and I will monitor for heat issues in the future.
Used:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-056-AK
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-023-AK

As far as my 'Powerguard' issue I'll test that later and post my results.

Back
Top Bottom