Is my system borked?

Associate
Hi guys, Im just wondering whether I should get hold of a new copy of windows and whether that will resolve my issues. Basically I was subjected to a virus a couple of months back which blocked me accessing Facebook, Amazon and Ebay. I thought I got rid of it, but ever since then I have had the following errors on my system, even though in day to day use it still runs fine.

Every time I boot up I get an error message saying that C:\users\mark\appdata\roaming\metsc.dll cannot be found

Every time I start the computer I get a check disk (the disk is being checked for consistency) process which takes around 5-10 mins to run.

Anti-virus (McAfee) wont run a scan and gives me an error every time I try. (although I can still run windows firewall)

I cant run certain programs like TVersity media server correctly (I believe im getting a media server error)

The system wont remember my wireless code and I have to enter it in manually each time.

System restore wont work

Although these are fairly minor issues I would like to get them sorted if possible, however when I tried reinstalling Windows Vista 64 I got an error message then as well and it wouldnt reinstall the OS. I was thinking about getting W7 and trying that, however I dont want to waste my money if it sounds like the virus has ruined my hard drive - any ideas guys?

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I am not aware of any viruses that would damage a drive as such.
Any ideas which virus it was?

What error are you getting when trying to install Vista again?

Associate
OP
I did a bit of a research and I think it was Koobface. Basically whenever I tried launching any of the web pages I mentioned I got a message asking for my card details....

I think the error I got when I tried the fresh install was just that the install had failed, similar to when I try to use system restore.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
How are you doing the new install?
Are you trying to run it through Windows or booting directly from the CD?
Does it fail immediately or after a certain point?

It might also be worth starting in Safe Mode and trying Windows Restore. i've found several times it will fail if run in normal mode, usually due to AV or other software interrupting it.
Obviously choose a restore point BEFORE the virus hit too:p

Back
Top Bottom