• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is my vega 64 faulty

Associate
i think my vega64 is borked,my monitor is a 5yr old dell widescreen 2500x1080p

tried all different cables to try and get it going when i try and go into the monitors settings (osd? i thinks that you call it) i just get padlock icon and then a message saying a dvi-d cable is not attached and will go into power saving mode

the only one that worked was a hdmi with a dvi-d cable adapter but it only give resolutions very well below the native resolution

then when i try and install the driver for this sapphire nitro+ the screen just goes black and goes on a loop the farthest it gets is the window screen then nothing

i know the monitor works fine on my old gtx 670 ,just wondering with vega being newer and my monitor being quite old they are incompatible

but i'm leaning towards the vega being borked

any suggestion will be great!

Associate
OP
the monitor is a dell ultrawide u2913wm,i have upgaded the bios to the latest version.....and installed the drivers for the monitor

by all accounts the monitors working according to the manual but everytime i insert a cable besides a dvi-d it would come up no dvi-d detected and will shut down in 5min ...hdmi to hdmi it doesnt work also tried a hdmi to mini display port ,when i try the monitor controls it comes with a big padlock symbol on screen

so i bought a dvi-d adapter for the hdmi cable that seem to work but not for long only gave my really low resolutions the highest being 1280x1024...so installed
amd's chipset driver and things improved could then get 1980x1080 but when trying to get it to 2565x1080 the screen would either go black or shut down and when turned back on i would get an auto repair in progress message or if i try to install the latest amd drivers it would get near the end of installing and crash on me again and have to do a system restore

i have: ryzen 1800x

msi x370 gaming titanium

32gb ram

1tb samsung 860 evo

2x 3tb hard drive

evga p2 750w 80plus platinum psu

thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
I had to use an active displayport to to dual link DVI connector for my Vega 64 to Dell 3007 (2560 x 1600). In the past I know that connecting a single link DVI would give low resolutions. If in the unlikely event you live in the Surrey area you could pop round and test yours against my V64 and also against my active adapter.

I looked at the manual for your monitor and it does list the DVI connector as a dual link DVI. So a standard DVI cable won't work and must be a dual link cable. Which Vega 64 do you have and what outputs does it have?

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_display/dell-u2913wm_user's guide_en-us.pdf

That monitor also seems to have a displayport connection so my recommendation would be to try a displayport cable. Also make sure when you do this that you are selecting the displayport as an input on the monitor menu.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I had to use an active displayport to to dual link DVI connector for my Vega 64 to Dell 3007 (2560 x 1600). In the past I know that connecting a single link DVI would give low resolutions. If in the unlikely event you live in the Surrey area you could pop round and test yours against my V64 and also against my active adapter.

I looked at the manual for your monitor and it does list the DVI connector as a dual link DVI. So a standard DVI cable won't work and must be a dual link cable. Which Vega 64 do you have and what outputs does it have?

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_display/dell-u2913wm_user's guide_en-us.pdf

That monitor also seems to have a displayport connection so my recommendation would be to try a displayport cable. Also make sure when you do this that you are selecting the displayport as an input on the monitor menu.
thanks for the invite i'm in manchester though,my last hope is a full size display port cable because all the other cables tried even the one im using now when i try and go into the monitor settings i get a big padlock on the screen

maybe if i put my old gpu back in then go into monitor settings and see if i can set it to hdmi or display port then swap them back over

Man of Honour
thanks for the invite i'm in manchester though,my last hope is a full size display port cable because all the other cables tried even the one im using now when i try and go into the monitor settings i get a big padlock on the screen

The menu should be available even without any cable plugged in. So I think you may have a different problem, particularly as it is displaying a padLOCK on the screen. I just looked at the online manual for your monitor again and there is a menu lock to prevent any changes by the user. Are you sure you haven't locked it in the past and that's now stopping you changing the input to use the plugged in cable?

The soft lock is in the menu apparently. But if you can't even get that far then there also seems to be a hard lock enabled and disabled by pressing the 'button above the power button' for 10 seconds.

Another person with a different but similar monitor appears to have unlocked it by holding the menu button for 15 secs. So that's worth a try if the above unlock doesn't work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom