Is now a good time to buy a HTC Vive?

Associate
So I truthfully I am a little sore on missing out on a great deal (£250 with a new headband) in my local area on a 1st gen Vive. Now its hard to be paying full price (500) for something that came out a couple of years ago, and with the new gen out, but not as a complete kit. It seems like I have to really weigh up what to do. I am sure their are many people in my situation debating whether to go for the fist gen as the second, doesn't come as a complete kit with the sensors.

But also I am reading about new hand control and such, the new vive willl have the same screens as the Samsung Odyssey. I want to jump on this tech but honestly I have no idea in which direction to look. Should I wait? buy new? or get best deal second hand?

Soldato
2nd hand deals are always a fine thing, danoliver1 sold his Vive with a DTS for £340 last week in the mm. I was tempted to buy it purely for a secondary unit and spares. If you are forced to buy new though, Ocuk have run several promotions on both the Rift and the Vive, the rift generally at a price discount, the Vive with a bundled DTS at no extra cost.

You're right about the dilemma with the Vive and it's ecosystem though, the staggered release of improved product, the high cost of the ancillaries needed, it's a nightmare for those looking to jump in, or even existing Vive owners.

Cost sounds like a thing though, and while the Vive pro currently is the shebang, it's not worth it if you're looking at starting fresh, it'll cost you around about a grand for the unit with controllers and sensors for an increased resolution which is still bound by the limitations of generation one VR. Putting your concern about the generational thing to the forefront though, currently with the software and hardware availability in terms of games and graphics cards, the current generation is still the sweet spot, you'll get at least a year probably two out of whatever you buy. The problem with waiting on Generation next, absolutely nobody knows when hardware will become available, it's technology that's tripping on the edge in development blogs, and no major software developer is going to support anything that unsubstantiated.

Phew!! Rift or Vive you get a fully functional HMD that does the VR thing well in it's current guise, as a display unit there's minor positives and negatives for both. Sensor, room scale the Vive is all in the package, the Oculus requires an additional sensor to match up. Controllers, Oculus takes the crown out of the box, if VR interaction is what you crave then the touch controllers nail that over the Vive (unless your purely in to table tennis, they're great replica bat handles:))

Going forward: The controllers you mention are the evolution generation next, the infamous 'knuckles' something Valve have been pushing to developers for over a year, recently making the news because of the latest iteration, and what would seem one step closer to finalizing the design. Another going forward in the Vive ecosystem would be the official wireless adapter coming very soon to further muddy the water. As it's a much wanted product, you can bet a penny that HTC will cost it accordingly, rather than seeing greater gains in increasing their audience and desirability of product over fleecing their current user base.

Personally I would give yourself a months window, and hammer search of the secondary market, before deciding to buy new. While the Controllers can take beating if peoples room space is small, in general the rest is hard to damage with the sensors being static and out the way, the HMD will be either working or it won't, do check for dead pixels though... No biased but id look at a 2nd hand Vive first, most will have a DTS, and comes with the advantage of buying those extras down the line. If a Vive doesn't come up, you lose nothing by picking up a Rift that comes with touch controls and that 3rd sensor.

If it's new then it's for yourself to decide, at RRP id say the Rift, you get the better controls, the 3rd sensor is cheaper than the DTS.

Soldato
Personally if I was getting one now I would get a cheap 2nd hand wmr from CEX and then at least would have a good chunk to spend on games.

Next year, which ain't too far off the next round of headsets should be coming out.

Got my eye on the Oculus Santa Cruz.

Soldato
Yeah, now increasingly seems like a terrible time to get into VR given every device in the market is now several years old and I suspect some of the next generation headsets will see huge leaps in resolution, visual fidelity, and tracking.

The fact we've reached the stage where a £200 oculus go actually offers better visuals than a £500 PC headset just rubs salt in the wound. I have a PSVR headset and I'll probably stick with it now until we see next generation products from HTC, Oculus and Windows mixed reality.

If you see any cheap deals on second hand headsets then go for it but like yourself I wouldn't want to pay full retail for a Vive this late in the game especially given it's price tag.

Last edited:
Soldato
I only sold the vive because Iam mainly playing sim games at the minute on my osw wheel and the rift is just better in that regard. Sold it now before it deprecated in value any further. Just have to wait now till rift cv2 comes out.:D

Associate
I prefer the Rift over the Vive for the in built audio and the most inporantantly the controllers. However given the price of the WMR headsets over at cex or eBay, if I was just getting into VR now I would get one of those

Associate
So to summarise the best option will be to wait out on investing in VR? I've been toying with either a Rift or a Vive but if there are plans to release newer products within the next 12 months I'll hold off.

I'm also unsure which will be the better supported product, I want to play big AAA titles (if and when they become available) but from what I read, see and hear that's limited to the Vive.

Associate
If you want to go for VR, Rift is worth a punt as it's as cheap as either a triple screen or expensive large monitor setup. In my opinion Vive is too expensive at this point in the product's lifecycle, considering it doesn't have any huge performance benefit over the Rift.

Soldato
I've been toying with either a Rift or a Vive but if there are plans to release newer products within the next 12 months I'll hold off.

2 years, probably nearer 3 before anything comes that isn't a resolution or image quality improvement. It's generally accepted that only oculus fund AAA development, though your line of thinking that headsets are the factor in limitations is off base. While there are oculus exclusive games, there's a 3rd party work around that enables them on vive. The vive is an open VR platform, and despite a short lived tussle with a couple of games, all titles available on vive are on oculus too.

In my opinion Vive is too expensive at this point in the product's lifecycle

is £100 different that much of a difference? considering the cost of a 3rd sensor to do the room scale, and possible usb card.

Op I would suggest you head to reddit, you'll get better impartial advice.

Associate
If you can get the Vive for £500 including the DAS (like the deal OCUK had on not so long ago), absolutely get it over the Rift.

The new headsets (Vive Pro and upcoming Pimax 8K) are going to cost £800 upwards so it's pointless to wait. With the Vive you've at least got an upgrade path as both the Pro and 8K HMDs are drop-in replacements.

Soldato
is £100 different that much of a difference? considering the cost of a 3rd sensor to do the room scale, and possible usb card.

Op I would suggest you head to reddit, you'll get better impartial advice.

You are forgetting about all the free software you get with the Rift. It's a considerable saving and there are some great games and apps included.

And impartial advice on Reddit? :D The Oculus section will say the Rift, the HTC section will say the Vive. It's pretty impartial here, there are a good few users here who have owned both and have shared their experiences. DanOliver1 and Donohue07 are two examples on this thread.

To @Rusko187 my advice is try both if you can before purchase. If that's not possible, then I think the best option at the moment is the Rift. The touch controllers are so good they make huge difference to the VR experience. And as I said earlier in this post, the free games and software you get the with Rift is a big saving. You get a more comfortable headset with decent headphones built in.

Most games work on both headsets.

Future proofing? Not sure this is possible at this point in time in VR. There are just too many unknowns at this stage. You could be like those users who bought the Vive with the intention of upgrading to the next headset when it came along because they would both be using the same lighthouses, to find that the new headset cost £800!!

VR is awesome. I think you should pick a headset and buy one now. Start gaming now, 12 months is a long time. Best purchase that I have ever made is getting a VR headset. If you have never tried VR before both the Rift and Vive offer amazing experiences and are amazing value at current prices.

Associate
As with all tech, you can always wait for the next shiny thing just around the corner. Just don't spend too much time waiting when you could be enjoying what's available now. Neither system will disappoint. Just be aware of their respective strengths and weaknesses and make an informed decision that suits you.

Associate
Thanks for the feedback guys, I've been fortunate enough to try both but not side by side so it's hard to give true comparisons but in my mind I didn't see enough of an upgrade in the Vive to warrant the extra money. I'm likely to get one for my birthday in August but wanted to know before I committed that I wouldn't buy it to find "SURPRISE... 4k VERSION, SAME PRICE, SAME GAMES". As long as nothing major is foreseeable I'm happy to buy the Rift.

So 1 last question, I was under the belief the likes of Skyrim VR were on Vive only... is that not the case?

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback guys, I've been fortunate enough to try both but not side by side so it's hard to give true comparisons but in my mind I didn't see enough of an upgrade in the Vive to warrant the extra money. I'm likely to get one for my birthday in August but wanted to know before I committed that I wouldn't buy it to find "SURPRISE... 4k VERSION, SAME PRICE, SAME GAMES". As long as nothing major is foreseeable I'm happy to buy the Rift.

So 1 last question, I was under the belief the likes of Skyrim VR were on Vive only... is that not the case?

All suggestions point to 2020 now for a next gen rift... and of course it will be substantially more expensive at launch than the rift is at this point in it's life cycle. If the half dome prototype they recently showed off is any indication of what we'll be getting by then though it is going to be something special for sure.

HTC or others may of course come out with something sooner, I'm speaking specifically of oculus.

I have to say I've been pretty happy with the rift as an overall package. I would say it's an absolute bargain at the current price considering the bundled software.

Associate
All suggestions point to 2020 now for a next gen rift... and of course it will be substantially more expensive at launch than the rift is at this point in it's life cycle. If the half dome prototype they recently showed off is any indication of what we'll be getting by then though it is going to be something special for sure.

HTC or others may of course come out with something sooner, I'm speaking specifically of oculus.

I have to say I've been pretty happy with the rift as an overall package. I would say it's an absolute bargain at the current price considering the bundled software.

Apologies for late response, been on holiday. Well agreed with the wife that I'll be going VR for my birthday (9th August).. now honestly is the Vive a worthwhile step up or is the Rift just as good?

Back
Top Bottom