• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is now the time to upgrade to a 3090 or 3080ti hmmm

Associate
I purchased a 3070 right at the start of all this madness, I was running one screen to start with for Sim racing but over the past 2 month I've jumped to 3 screens.

Never had any major issues, adjusted the quality on some games but on the odd game like ACC I notice the odd micro stutter, when the frame rate takes a big hit.

I decided to just try one monitor again recently and was shocked how high the FPS went up (from 91 -144+ FPS) and that's with some of the settings turned up to Ultra. The downside is when I jumped back to three screens I really noticed what I was missing.

So the big question is, is it time ?

The prices appear to have dropped quite a bit but are still not great, could I regret it as soon as September... Or do people think the next incarnation of GPU's will not be around till at least September 2022?

My machine is bordering on extreme with a 5090x, 64Gig and 2x2TB M.2's, which has a double use for gaming and music, so it shouldn't have a bottleneck... The only downside is the power supply as it's 750W, as nobody had anything bigger at the time.

Soldato
Prices have dropped by around 30% in the last month alone so maybe worth hanging a bit longer, in the mean time try get a 3080FE as its the only card using a GA102 die that offers anywhere near value for money.

Likely to be some FE cards dropping this week.

Associate
OP
Prices have dropped by around 30% in the last month alone so maybe worth hanging a bit longer, in the mean time try get a 3080FE as its the only card using a GA102 die that offers anywhere near value for money.

Likely to be some FE cards dropping this week.

I've seen a few posts regarding people getting 3080 FE cards, are they getting them straight from Nvidia ?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The prices appear to have dropped quite a bit but are still not great, could I regret it as soon as September... Or do people think the next incarnation of GPU's will not be around till at least September 2022?

4000/7000 series wont be out until the back end of 2022 at the earliest.

Soldato
I've seen a few posts regarding people getting 3080 FE cards, are they getting them straight from Nvidia ?

Problem is the 3080ti FE uses same cooler as the 3080 FE so I would check with 3080ti FE owners whether they are happy with their cooler if you are going after a FE.
I had the 3080 FE and it did get rather loud and I had to do a lot of undervolt tinkering to get it near how I liked but even with headphones and I couldnt hear it still bothered me when I took my headphones off.
(yeah one of the sad 'sound - lesser is better' brigade) :)

Associate
Problem is the 3080ti FE uses same cooler as the 3080 FE so I would check with 3080ti FE owners whether they are happy with their cooler if you are going after a FE.
I had the 3080 FE and it did get rather loud and I had to do a lot of undervolt tinkering to get it near how I liked but even with headphones and I couldnt hear it still bothered me when I took my headphones off.
(yeah one of the sad 'sound - lesser is better' brigade) :)
I had that very recently, the replacement is so much better (RMA’d it).

RTX3080 FE - Re-do thermal pads vs Warranty

Back
Top Bottom