Is OcUK your mirror?

Soldato
OP
dmpoole said:
1 - I'd go back to the newsgroups where I started
2 - I suppose a little
3 - Wouldn't matter

Yeah, well I wouldn't figure that it would screw with YOUR confidence but I figured that a lot of our younger, more confused members would have to wander through a forest should OcUK disappear and they were deprived of advice to smear mustard on their faces...

Man of Honour
HangTime said:
This thread wasn't quite what I was expecting, I thought it was going to be more along the lines of people using the forums as a way of posing, and/or checking their standing within the world.

Yep, I thought it would be along the same lines as well.

In answer to the questions asked though.

1) Not really, I very rarely ask any questions of the forums and more often attempt to give out some advice in some of the technical sub-forums.

2) Doubt it, I use the forums as a way to pass the time but it doesn't impact on the time that I spend with my mates.

3) I don't think that OcUK has any impact on my confidence or my understanding of myself. The only thing that is likely to influence my understanding of myself is time.

Soldato
1. seeing as i only mainly ask about playing music questions, probably yes because i havent found a single forum or place online with as much friendly knowledge about guitars and recording.

2. tough one, it wouldnt change the amount that i go out because i dont say "nah, not coming out tonight guys, on the forums see" so i guess yer i probably would because i only come on here when everybody is busy and theres nobody around to talk to...

3. wouldnt change any understanding of myself, i dont come on here for stuff like that. and for confidence that hasnt really changed either but i havent been on any meets yet... so time will tell i guess!

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
cleanbluesky said:
Yeah, well I wouldn't figure that it would screw with YOUR confidence but I figured that a lot of our younger, more confused members would have to wander through a forest should OcUK disappear and they were deprived of advice to smear mustard on their faces...
Tbh I would think it were strange if just the forums boosted someone's confidence. Makes sense to me that the meets would, but just the forums, that'd be a bit odd imo. Well not odd....but they must be extremely unconfident if even a forum can make them feel more confident.

Soldato
I'd get more work done, go out more probbably, get to know REAL people again....................................maybe I should get out more

Soldato
Haly said:
Tbh I would think it were strange if just the forums boosted someone's confidence. Makes sense to me that the meets would, but just the forums, that'd be a bit odd imo. Well not odd....but they must be extremely unconfident if even a forum can make them feel more confident.

if i posted some of my guitar playing in the music section, and people said that i was a good player, that would boost my confidence :)

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
SidewinderINC said:
if i posted some of my guitar playing in the music section, and people said that i was a good player, that would boost my confidence :)
Ahh I wasn't thinking of something like that sorry. I was thinking more GD style related things.
Makes sense with music, photography, music or web design then.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
1) Would many of your questions go unanswered?
nope...questions i ask on here normally stem from discussions/questions from my real-life :o

2) Would you be more lonely?
it's difficult to say. by strange coincidence, the only reason i'm with my girlfriend is OcUK, so it could be a good bet that i would be considerably more lonely.

3) Would you understand yourself less, or be less confident?
i dont think the forums have changed me as a person. they've opened my mind up musically, and taught me to not judge a book by its cover; plus i've made some ****ing amazing friends on here. i guess, without them i'd be less confident, yeah.

i've always understood myself, just a shame that no-one else gets me :(;)

Soldato
i've always understood myself, just a shame that no-one else gets me
emo tbh.

Regarding the OP,

1) Not so much unanswered, but often it would take longer to find them out, there's a wealth of knowledge as well as many people willing to share it on these forums so it's quite a resource really.

2) Nah, don't really get lonely, can always watch snails having races on walls and suchlike. Still, met some great people from meets etc which I wouldn't have otherwise so grateful to OcUk for that :)

3) Dunno really, hard to say! Don't think so, am a fairly confident monkeh as it is, but then again I don't know how far the High-Five experience would have gone if I hadn't shared it with OcUk :p

Last edited:
Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
cleanbluesky said:

1) Nope. I just wouldn't know as much rubbish I guess! :p The useful thing is that if you need to know something, someone on here is bound to help in some way.

2) Don't think so, although I am really grateful for the friends I have made from here :)

3) No I don't think so. I would just have to find another outlet for boredom at work!

BB x

Caporegime
cleanbluesky said:
There are countless relationship, sport, computers, martial arts, self-esteem, hobby, profession, education and social threads on here. We know this. We see new ones spawn and die every day. We have a good turnover...

The question is. How would your life change without OcUK? Suppose you weren't able to cram the collective advice and experience, the random thoughts and slices of humour into your life in one quick, selective and easy to digest manner...

Dont think my life would change at all if OCUK didnt exist, although saying that i have and do enjoy some of the threads here...some of them have been great classics.

Would many of my questions go unanswered??

Umm not really as i use google a lot or i do a lot of reading so i tend to get a lot of my answers through there. But i have learnt quite a bit from here as well, been educated as you might say through these forums.

Would i be more lonely??
Hell no i have enough friends plus family to keep me busy, im hardly here after 6pm as it is...i have a life and a pretty good one at that lol:p.

Would i understand myself less or be less confident??.

No not really, i know myself pretty well. I know certain things get to me in here and in real life. For me if it gets too much i just log off or do something else. Confidence on the otherhand??...havent really used this place to boost my confidence as such...i have oodles of confidence as it is. I need to in the job im in, i cant afford to be negative in any respect unless its out of work etc.

Man of Honour
cleanbluesky said:

You're right.
They'd all lose me for a start.

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
There are countless relationship, sport, computers, martial arts, self-esteem, hobby, profession, education and social threads on here. We know this. We see new ones spawn and die every day. We have a good turnover...

The question is. How would your life change without OcUK? Suppose you weren't able to cram the collective advice and experience, the random thoughts and slices of humour into your life in one quick, selective and easy to digest manner...

Having been banned twice the answer is:

You watch more TV and play more computer games, i dont really feel the need to ask anybody on here anything important anyway.
Because i'll be honest, i can type words into the bit of firefox with "google" next to it as good as any of you lot can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom