Is Office 2007 faster than Office 2003?

Man of Honour
Looks faster from here, Word and all the other applications appear to load in almost instantaneously. Word and Outlook are certainly faster than on XP. Difficult to say whether less memory is being used but with 2GB who cares.

Associate
2007 faster? :eek: No way!

Defo slower than 2003 & Outlook is much slower. Typing a message has a delay on each character. It really needs a quick machine to run it.

I have it running on 2 machines so far, the PIV 3.0, 1gb RAM it's very slow. It's an acceptable speed on my new pc (spec in sig), but I wouldn't say it's "quick".

Soldato
Biscuity said:
2007 faster? :eek: No way!

Defo slower than 2003 & Outlook is much slower. Typing a message has a delay on each character. It really needs a quick machine to run it.
That says something about your system set up rather than Office 2007, as it's happily working just as XP and 2003 were on a P3 512mb PC at work.

It's maybe a touch quicker to load from scratch, but given the redone GUI, I think that should be the basis for choosing, not the 0.4 seconds lost/saved.

Soldato
I'm thinking along the lines of video drivers or something... it's drawing text - Word doesn't do anything funky - it's a very minor thing that takes no processing power at all. Try disabling Clear Type or something. Definitely sounds like quirky drivers to me.

Even typing nonsense while studying Task Manager reveals a grand max of 4% usage in the entire system. A Celeron 300 could do it. Actually Celeron 300As could do anything.

Associate
2007 seems to be a lot faster on my machine, especially when opening outlook (2003 would take a while on xp).
Setup is:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+
Mem: 2 gig
GFX: Nvidia 7600GT

Associate
I've got office 07 on two machines -

Xp Pro
Sempron 2800
1Gb DDR RAM
Matrox G550 Graphics

It takes longer than 03 to boot up, but after that its only a tad slower. (actually in publisher, when i browse for an image to insert, on 03 it stalled on every folder i opened, but on 07 it browses mcuh quicker)

Second machine

Vista Business 32 Bit
Athlon 3800 X2
2gb GeiL Value DDR
8700 GT Extreme 256Mb

This runs like lightning, much quicker than 03 was.

It obviously depends on your setup, if you rig is good enough it will run much quicker and smooth than 03 did, but if its not quite up to scratch, the performance can suffer. It seems like some things are designed to go quicker with new hardware, whereas other things have just been refined to be better than in 03

Soldato
works faster, but i think thats something to do with me using vista, and its better use of ram for common applications, because it loads in an instant, and the interface is great and very well integrated!

Associate
And theres a piece of rubbish I cant find how to disable, called searchindexer.exe running all the time, taking up 50Meg of RAM.

And it starts itself everytime after you kill it, it just doesn't get the message.

Associate
blairw said:
works faster, but i think thats something to do with me using vista, and its better use of ram for common applications, because it loads in an instant, and the interface is great and very well integrated!

Back
Top Bottom