Is Organic....

Soldato
For the strictest vegans, no. Being 'vegan' is a quite a wide spectrum. The swing has happened on it just being nutty bra-burning environmentalists to being a more mainstream 'get on with life and avoid anything derived from animals as much as possible'.

A bit like Jews who eat around non-Jewish folks houses. The stricter ones will flat out refuse as non-kosher meat has been cooked in that house. Some won't give a toss. Some will insist on using tinfoil between the plate and the food.

An even funner "not abiding by the spirit of the law" is soaking. Google it on urban dictionary :p

Caporegime
People just don't understand what organic means to be honest. There's a lot who think it means pesticide free for example.
if it says "100% organic" it should be.

wouldn't surprise me if there are pesticides considered organic even if we shouldn't be consuming them though

The nutrients the plants are given might not even be organic even if no pesticides are used

Caporegime
thats not about 100% organic though.

"organic" only 95% of the ingredients have to be organic
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/organic-food-labelling-rules

IDK if its a thing in the uk though the "100% organic"

what I find interesting is
Usually it’ll take you 2 years to get certified as an organic producer. It might take shorter or longer depending on your situation, for example:
  • 3 years for established orchards of perennial soft, top and vine fruits
  • 12 months for grass for pig and poultry grazing if no banned products have been applied to soil over the previous 12 months
  • 2 years for land intended for ruminant grazing and annual crops

is that only for the pig, or is there a loophole where your pigs over 12 months old are considering "organic" because they lived on an organic field for 12 months

use 2 fields, alternate which one gets banned products every 12 months, hey it's organic ;)

there's probably tons of food labeled as "organic" thats not just like wood from illegal logging ends up in the regular market even though it's supposed to be tracked at every step of the way

also when your allowed a 5% tolerance you buy 95 organic applies, chuck 5 non organic inn the bag and make a tiny bit of profit you otherwise wouldn't. what it's all above board and legal right.

you know what would be really interesting to survey everyone involved in farming etc who use pesticides and such and to find out whether they are organic eaters or not.

not for me, but okay for theee

Last edited:
Soldato
If you buy organic produce from a reputable supplier it is healthier than mass produced produce which in its self if a lot better than processed food in general.

Most people eat far too much heavily processed food and food full of chemicals but it takes time to cook healthily and often costs more. Once you swap over you notice how bad ready meals and similar are.

Generally organic produce is :-

• Fewer pesticides
  • No artificial colours or preservatives
  • Always free range
  • No routine use of antibiotics
  • No GM ingredients

Associate
Sadly healthy food just costs a lot more than a 2 minute microwave meal, personally I always try to buy fresh ingredients and as my wife's father is a butcher we always try to buy our meat from a local butcher, it does cost more but the quality is so much better, one of the butchers in my town is also a fish monger and has a fantastic selection of booze, they also have veg produce from a local farmer which isn't to deadly on the old wallet.

Caporegime
Sadly healthy food just costs a lot more than a 2 minute microwave meal, personally I always try to buy fresh ingredients and as my wife's father is a butcher we always try to buy our meat from a local butcher, it does cost more but the quality is so much better, one of the butchers in my town is also a fish monger and has a fantastic selection of booze, they also have veg produce from a local farmer which isn't to deadly on the old wallet.
I can see it reaching the point where supermarket don't sell healthy food and the only choice is ready meals and processed crap.
we are basically there already anyway and then people are forced to pay through the nose at speciality shops.

takeaways will probably even take a lot of business from supermarkets with how the new generations of adults seem to be.

going to be interesting to see al the health problems, diabetes , cancers etc that start to happen in 40-50 years time

we will have more mobility scooters with belly supports than the USA too....

Back
Top Bottom