Is Russell in a no-win situation?

Associate
IMO this car favors Russell over Hamilton, even though it's terrible so he'll never fight for the Championship.

Next season, if Merc total overhauls the car, I think it'll favor Hamilton.

Soldato
Surely it's up to each side of the garage to make the car work for their man? I'm not sure I go in with all this car X favours person Y thing too much. I'm sure there's an element of it due to driving style, but I'm also sure George is fairly content where he is right now at least where Hamilton is concerned. He's only 24 so it would be infinitely sensible for him to have patience, wait for Mercedes to invest properly and sort this garbage out. If they're at the top next year but the car slightly suits Hamilton? So be it. He'll probably be in P2 if it's a rocket like previous years. I dunno, there's so much conjecture around F1 at the moment, it's ridiculous...

Caporegime
I don't know. I am pretty sure George was bought in as Lewis's long term replacement (assuming he is as good as Merc think he is). Lewis is getting on a bit now compared to the new young talent so i don't think he has may years left at the top of his game (hence the Russell signing). I think Merc wanted a younger taleneted.

Russell is Merc's answer to Leclerc/Norris/Max.

Soldato
No. He's currently the better (albeit with bit of luck) driver and I can see Lewis retiring at the end of the season if things don't drastically change.

It's similar to Seb in 2014, clearly the car didn't suit him and was outperformed by young Danny Ric. But unlike Seb who was in mid 20s back then, Lewis is now mid/ late 30s and nearing the end of his career.

Soldato
Quite the opposite. He's in a no loose situation. Being beaten by a 7 times world champ is to be expected. Anything else is a bonus.

As to winning a world championship. Who knows, he's got a long career ahead of him. Doubt it'll be this year though.

Soldato
I wouldn't say even. George has much more confidence with the car, and the results speak volumes. Just compare his overtake on Magnusson last weekend (without DRS) to Lewis's inability to get past Gasly. It was all down to confidence under braking.

Something you learn, with experience, is fear. The Mercedes must be terrifying to drive, but that's the only type of F1 car George has ever known.

Soldato
It was all down to confidence under braking.
Confidence, or blissful ignorance? ;) Only joking really, I like Russell but it might just be a case of a younger head being slightly oblivious to the issues/danger? I dunno. If I was bouncing around approaching a corner at 200km/h I would certainly be majorly clenching as I stomped on the brakes :o

Associate
I just think Hamilton has had two rotten races with some bad luck he’s not been able to overcome (safety car in Aus, Ocon at Imola).

I suppose if that car improves this weekend and Hamilton shows his talent will the rhetoric change to “Hamilton only does well in a good car”

The guy just can’t win!!

Soldato
I just think Hamilton has had two rotten races with some bad luck he’s not been able to overcome (safety car in Aus, Ocon at Imola).

I suppose if that car improves this weekend and Hamilton shows his talent will the rhetoric change to “Hamilton only does well in a good car”

The guy just can’t win!!
Well he isn't the first driver to have this retort thrown at him. I always say the mark of a world champion is to be able to lift their game in a good car. Lewis, Jenson, MS, Vettel to name a few. Then there are those who in a good car just trundle around the tracks expecting the car to do the work..

Associate
Well he isn't the first driver to have this retort thrown at him. I always say the mark of a world champion is to be able to lift their game in a good car. Lewis, Jenson, MS, Vettel to name a few. Then there are those who in a good car just trundle around the tracks expecting the car to do the work..
Hamilton has won in some less than great cars. It just so happens the last 8 years he had a dominant car.

Edit: now I’ve re-read your comment you might be agreeing with my viewpoint?

Caporegime

This. It boggles my mind how people still don't rate Lewis after last season. It was like him and Max were in a different formula to the rest of the pack (and even their teammates). I mean Bottas was nowhere on race day in the same car and Bottas is supposedly pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom