Is Ryzen stable enough yet to purchase a full system?

Associate
Hello there

Im self-employed and have been delaying upgrading my 5 year old work PC which I use dual screen for heavy multitasking (and some light-gaming in the evenings).

Using the PC configurator on this site, Ive specced exactly the Ryzen system I want which comes in bang on my £1750 budget

My question is, are Ryzen systems stable enough yet, to use as a system that you will totally depend on, day in, day out?

The Asus X370 Prime board which seems the only one available, has got some pretty scathing reliablity reviews elsewhere. I know its new tech and mostly down to BIOS, but how long would you realistically wait for spending funds? Ideally its got to be before end-April

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Associate
OP
Was going to get 16 gigs of Corsair LPX memory and an X370 board, but the Asus Prime board seems the only one available in the £150 range.

It hasnt exactly been getting glowing comments from existing users on other sites

Could I lower my sights to a B350 board? I just want to overclock a Ryzen 1700 to say 3.9ghz and have an M2 slot.

Im not what you guys would call an enthusiast, but do need to have a dependable PC that will get heavy use 10-12 hours a day

Associate
OP
If you spec a parts list, would the guys here build it for you for a reasonable fee?

Ive been Using their configurator, but not everything is on the list.

Ive built my own before, but dont have time now, especially if problems rear their head

Soldato
3.8 is probably a more realistic oc target if you want absolute dependability. Memory problem can be largely avoided by getting the recommended kits for each motherboard.

It's worth giving them an email to see if they can accommodate your custom configuration. I'm sure they will be happy help.

Associate
i am in this position, iv bought all the parts i can, case cooler fans etc but havent decided on amd v intel, but reading thru the ryzen threads there are far too many rma stories for my liking

Hello there

Im self-employed and have been delaying upgrading my 5 year old work PC which I use dual screen for heavy multitasking (and some light-gaming in the evenings).

Using the PC configurator on this site, Ive specced exactly the Ryzen system I want which comes in bang on my £1750 budget

My question is, are Ryzen systems stable enough yet, to use as a system that you will totally depend on, day in, day out?

The Asus X370 Prime board which seems the only one available, has got some pretty scathing reliablity reviews elsewhere. I know its new tech and mostly down to BIOS, but how long would you realistically wait for spending funds? Ideally its got to be before end-April

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Associate
OP
Pricing up the individual parts comes out about £75 cheaper than using the configurator, so as long as they dont charge more than that for build all is good. Main advantage is that you can choose exactly the parts you want as opposed to the somewhat more limited choices from the configurator.

Have decided to wait until the new Radeon cards are released, just to see what they offer. Mainly interested to see how they compare in performance/price to 1070s

As far as X370 boards go, I think im leaning toward the MSI Pro-Carbon which is the only board Ive seen reviews on that seems to work out of the box.

Providing things have settled down by end-April, think I will press the button then

Back
Top Bottom