Is Samsung B-Die still King on Ryzen?

Associate
Hey, all, I built my first PC with first gen. Ryzen when b-die was needed, using G.Skill Trident Z RGB, but I've been eyeing up an upgrade from 16gb to 32 gb with Micron's Crucial's Ballistix which appear to offer a lot of value in terms of performance sans RGB, but was wondering about compaitibility and performance on Ryzen. Thanks.

Associate
That was what I was thinking about two weeks ago when I upgrading my ryzen based pc based around a X470 Aorus gaming 7 wifi. Previously had a AB350M-Gaming 3 and had memory issues until I bought some 8 pack team group 3200mhz 16gb kit (Samsung b-die) from overclockers and they worked great with the XMP profile also working fine in my current board. Upgraded recently to a Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18 Hynix based kit. Admittedly I am no overclocker really and could only get this stable at 3200mhz through the gigabyte overclocking software that came with the board as the xmp profile did not work. I would have liked to have used the 8 pack Team group stuff but at time of buying it was £60 more and did not want to pay that.

Associate
OP
That was what I was thinking about two weeks ago when I upgrading my ryzen based pc based around a X470 Aorus gaming 7 wifi. Previously had a AB350M-Gaming 3 and had memory issues until I bought some 8 pack team group 3200mhz 16gb kit (Samsung b-die) from overclockers and they worked great with the XMP profile also working fine in my current board. Upgraded recently to a Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18 Hynix based kit. Admittedly I am no overclocker really and could only get this stable at 3200mhz through the gigabyte overclocking software that came with the board as the xmp profile did not work. I would have liked to have used the 8 pack Team group stuff but at time of buying it was £60 more and did not want to pay that.
Interesting, I was under the impression the issues i had with 1st gen. Ryzen were almost all solved with Zen+ and X470. I've just overclocked my CPU, RAM overclocking is a lot more scary, that said, there are RAM calculators which apparently do all the work for you, perhaps you can look into that? I think X470 will be more capable than my board, RAM was an issue i really struggled with, it runs XMP b-die at 3600 on my Aorus (Gigabyte) K7 board, but after a couple of months it corrupts my OS and i have to do a fresh install.

Man of Honour
Currently running some 3200 nanya a-die on a ryzen that just works at its xmp. It was a simple flick of a switch and its up and stable. Its currently even overclocked to 3466 and also seems to be working just fine. That is with a ryzen 3600. It was however exactly the same experience with a 2700x although I never tried pushing past 3200 with that chip.

Ive got 8 sticks of b-die in my 1st gen threadripper rig and that is a lot harder to get stable at higher memory clocks.

Associate
If you want to oc and tighten all your timings to max, yes. If not, then pick whatever.

bdie is only good if you’re willing to oc and test a fair amount.

bdie has 2 main advantages. Very tight timings and scales with voltage without a wall.

Associate
OP
If you want to oc and tighten all your timings to max, yes. If not, then pick whatever.

bdie is only good if you’re willing to oc and test a fair amount.

bdie has 2 main advantages. Very tight timings and scales with voltage without a wall.
Would you say B-Die holds those advantages with later Ryzen, like Zen 2, as well?

Associate
Hey, all, I built my first PC with first gen. Ryzen when b-die was needed, using G.Skill Trident Z RGB, but I've been eyeing up an upgrade from 16gb to 32 gb with Micron's Crucial's Ballistix which appear to offer a lot of value in terms of performance sans RGB, but was wondering about compaitibility and performance on Ryzen. Thanks.

asus b350 plus board 3 years old.
had 16gb corsair lpx that couldn't do rated speed 3000mhz and was stuck at 2933mhz.
(tried a lot but was a no go)
Bought crucial ballistix 3600mhz 2 days ago and the new ram booted without an issue with rated speed.
Its part of my upgrade path for next gen ryzen.
next is a new mboard and then later the cpu.

Pretty impressed with the crucial e-die sticks.

Back
Top Bottom