1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 'Social Justice' a Cultural Revolution Reboot?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Herojuana, Apr 11, 2019.

1. No1newts

Capodecina

Apologies I was probably not as clear in stating what I meant.

I believe that biologically & mentally, i.e. physical characteristics, there is no such thing as equality between individuals. I would probably agree in a world of billions there may be two individuals who are identical but the rarity of such an occurrence would be the exception that proves the rule.

In regard equality as a concept/idea pertaining to individual rights based on the lack of equality between individuals, brought about by differing skills and abilities based upon on phsysical/mental characteristics: I would one hundred percent agree that the law, and just morally as a society, we should promote equality of opportunity to ensure all are given every chance in life to achieve what it is they are both good at and want to do, but due to an underlying inequality in the individual I believe we cannot keep trying to enforce equality of outcome. Equality of outcome, which is where those chasing "equality" now are going for through things such as affirmative action etc, just poisons the well in a society but also I'm effects the success of a society. The best at a position should be in that position irrespective of colour, creed, gender or sexuality.

Hope that is a little clearer :)

2. ANDREW GREEN

Gangster

He's an apologist for racism, discrimination and insulting behaviour.

He claims the individual should handle racism, discrimination and personally rather than report it to authorities. How can you handle it personally? Presumably by commiting a crime, is this what he's advocating? Or is he just saying 'shut up, suck up the abuse'.

Apparently according to Jonathan Haidt this is a bigger problem on American campus than endemic rape culture that exists.

3. efish

Wise Guy

Apologies not required. As the world is going a bit mad at the moment thought I should extend the definition.

I like biology which deals with the brain. I also like neurology which increasingly studies the relationship between the brain and culture.
    How culture alters the internal anatomy and wiring the brain.
    The situational effect that alters both the mental and physical structures of the mind.

Its a particular topic in education as younger people have far more 'plasticity', the brain is still in the processes of wiring itself up. Metaphorically beat someone with a stick day in day out. It has a physical and metal effect that may be life altering.
    In order to give people an equal opportunity the method of instruction may have to vary considerably.

The common institutional response is 'in the interest of fairness everyone will be treated in the same way.' In this way bias can be built into the system. Particularly if the way everyone is treated gives an advantage to one particular social and cultural demographic which is 'wired up' differently to other class members.
    The issue is a complicated one.

But as the research grows the argument becomes more politically heated and charged.

4. No1newts

Capodecina

I've started reading a little in the area of psychology, neuroscience and the nature/nurture discussion and it really is fascinating stuff as you say.

The fact that there may be particular genes which make an individual more pre-disposed toward certain areas and that if we identify and know these we can help in determining the right methods teaching kids and helping people who have particular needs.

Unfortunately I don't see how we could cater education for individuals, it would be nigh on impossible especially with today's staff shortages as they already are, but it is certainly something to endeavour toward.

I agree in equality of opportunity though so if there is a way to extend opportunity through better teaching opportunities I would be all for it.

5. efish

Wise Guy

Its not simply genetics. Brains relationship to the enviroment and culture.

Good introduction to the subject is this book (left a link below) if you want to read more. Really good solid introduction to the subject.

link

6. No1newts

Capodecina

Yeah I knew that, but I will certainly have a read of the link. Thanks :)

7. FoxEye

Capodecina

Oh boy. Are you @hurfdurf in disguise?

"Rape culture" is just so much hot air and nonsense. Neither the UK nor America has a "rape culture". 99% of people will be seriously repulsed by the idea of rape (which of course does happen - I'm not denying that) and consider it utterly unacceptable. It's also a criminal offence.

"Rape culture" is just bull tripe. As are the attempts to broaden the concept of rape to all sex where consent forms weren't signed in triplicate and submitted to your lawyer two weeks in advance.

8. hurfdurf

Sgarrista

99% of people might claim to be repulsed by rape, but that didn't stop them letting Jimmy Saville, Weinstien, the Catholic Church, the Rotherham city council etc etc do it, repeatedly, often to children.

It's not considered unacceptable in the slightest, lots of rapes are reported to people who will dismiss it as "boys being boys" or tell women to stop making a fuss over nothing.

And no he's not me. The fact you still remember me means I must have really rusted your jimmys all those years ago which pleases me immensely. Can't believe I'm still talked about here!

9. FoxEye

Capodecina

Yes because you post things like this:
    "99% of people let Jimmy Saville rape kids! Muh rape culture!!!!11!!1!"

Not all publicity is good publicity hurf. Infamy is a thing.