• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 3090 a 'waste' for gaming?

Associate
I ordered a 3080 on launch day, to replace a 980ti, which was promised to my mates sons first PC (xmas present)

With the current supply constraints it was looking like I was going to be without my PC over Xmas period and beyond.

I jumped on a 3090 FE out of frustration & desperation, and while I’m pretty ****** with extra the £600+ for the card, now that I have it in my machine I couldn’t be happier

My PC is exclusively used for sim racing, with triple 27’’ monitors, and my current sim of choice ACC, with the 3090 and ACC gfx set to ‘epic’ across the 3 monitors I’m getting 90fps, I’m telling myself a 3080 with my set-up I would be back to turning gfx setting down.

I’m still in the early stages of 3090 ownership - not really had a tinker with card settings etc. - lots of reading up to do

Associate
I am wasting my 3090 running full RT + DLSS in CP2077 / Watchdogs / COD.
:D

Most expensive card i ever had, but defo the best card, engineered to within an inch of its life. It really is a marvel.
You have to hold it to appreciate it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I think you needed the best you could get @Phil Gr its a shame we had to commit for the extra but when you fail to get either brands 'flagship' cards due to pathetic stock, price gouging and scalpers, unless your prepared to wait it out and see what Spring 2021 can give, it has been the best option! Next day shipped, FE is pretty much lowest price you can get the cards at and they have decent build quality - far more than any previous FE I have known anyway.

Productivity and Development uses come in handy then mining overnight on the cheap rate electric. I am a couple of lessons into deep learning with pytorch, cant really grumble when the card is so useful to people who dont just game. :D

Associate
OP
The saga has ended thanks to a nice guy in my local town. He'd ordered a 3080 a month ago, though it wasn't coming and he managed to pick up another, only for the first to ship the next day lol

Sold it to me for what it cost him. So just goes to show there are still decent people out there when it comes to these cards!

Associate
The product images definitely don't do the FE cards justice - the premium look and feel they have in the flesh is far more impressive than the images convey.

This. Probably the nicest gpu nvidia have done. Feels really nice in hand and looks the part in case. Plus it's cool and quiet which is a 1st! Makes you think twice about getting a waterblock for it.... :cool:

Associate
Probably would have been happy with a 3080 FE if I had been able to get one, but went with the 3090 FE and while it's overpriced I'm actually really happy with it! As others have said it's an absolute behemoth but a joy to hold due to the level of engineering and it's great knowing the cooler is so capable, it has more VRAM than I'll ever need and something I can hold on to for years.

Have to admit that I'm glad being able to run Cyberpunk in all its glory is so satisfying, the level of immersion from the graphical fidelity is so good!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Probably would have been happy with a 3080 FE if I had been able to get one, but went with the 3090 FE and while it's overpriced I'm actually really happy with it! As others have said it's an absolute behemoth but a joy to hold due to the level of engineering and it's great knowing the cooler is so capable, it has more VRAM than I'll ever need and something I can hold on to for years.

Have to admit that I'm glad being able to run Cyberpunk in all its glory is so satisfying, the level of immersion from the graphical fidelity is so good!

+1. Not got CP though, will pick it up when discounted and by then the patches should make it even more fluid. ;)

Back
Top Bottom