• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 3090 a 'waste' for gaming?

Associate
I was foolish enough to drop over a grand on a 2080ti, but at least it was a card that was necessary for 4k60 two years ago.

If I ever start thinking about buying a 3090 at a grand and a half, I want sectioning for my own good. Not even kidding.

Associate
Hi guys, long time no post. Like a lot of people I'm at the end of my tether in regards to picking up an new Graphics Card. I've missed out on a 3080/3070/3060ti lol. The queues to get one seem to be into the months rather than weeks as well :(

This has led me to consider the 3090 as they are the only cards I ever see in stock. Most of the reviews I've read show these are only 10/15% faster than a 3080.

So am I being stupid even considering these? Is the 3080 stock situation going to improve?

From my perspective now I have the 3090? Love it worth the money, hear me out. Im not checking forums or stock every day for the last 3 months for a card, the relief of just being on the forums to chat about my hobby vs always jumping on a part alert to have the panic trying to spam te pay button only to have it removed from your basket during payment authentication.
Not checking the threads on queue positions because a company has £900 of my cash 3 months later... Its honestly just a weight lifted.

Smart money would get a 3070 short term and sell it on when stock comes around mid next year, but if you want a card this side of April? Sure the 3090 is zero on price performance that said the performance is utterly amazing and Im finally able to use my Valve Index how it was intended its night and day the difference.

Soldato
Hi guys, long time no post. Like a lot of people I'm at the end of my tether in regards to picking up an new Graphics Card. I've missed out on a 3080/3070/3060ti lol. The queues to get one seem to be into the months rather than weeks as well :(

This has led me to consider the 3090 as they are the only cards I ever see in stock. Most of the reviews I've read show these are only 10/15% faster than a 3080.

So am I being stupid even considering these? Is the 3080 stock situation going to improve?

They're the only card in stock, that tells it's own story. Personally, I would not consider a 3090 if I had a 980ti.

Soldato
It's awful value for money.

I still bought one though.

Same here, and considering the markup prices on non-FE cards it doesn't look too bad, at least thats what I keep tell myself. In anycase its not like theres much else available nor do I see that changing anytime soon. I also have a new (nearly) 4k monitor so thats another consideration.

I was foolish enough to drop over a grand on a 2080ti, but at least it was a card that was necessary for 4k60 two years ago.

If I ever start thinking about buying a 3090 at a grand and a half, I want sectioning for my own good. Not even kidding.

I have a 2080ti and theres no comparison the 3090's are properly 4k cards

Last edited:
Soldato
The 3090 isn't a waste if you can afford it.

If the 3090 leaves the same size dent in a high income household's finances as a 3060 leaves in a low income household's finances, what's the difference? Both people have spent the same amount effectively.

Why question the most expensive GPU? Of course it seems a rip off to an average earner. Why do people let it bother them. I couldn't care less that high end cards are out my price range. I've no idea why people get so triggered.

Associate
I bought a 3090. I wasn't planning to but I just got pig-sick of waiting for a 3080 so I bought a 3090 instead. I skipped Turing so I can justify that this card costs what I spent on Pascal and what I would likely have spent on Turing as well.

I can afford it. I still overpay the mortgage and am going on 2 nice holidays next year so why not. You can't take money with you when you go - life is too short. :D

Associate
Same here, and considering the markup prices on non-FE cards it doesn't look too bad, at least thats what I keep tell myself. In anycase its not like theres much else available nor do I see that changing anytime soon.

My guy it's awful. Thing is I had a Inno 3d 3080 preorder at £679. I was no 5 in the Queue. I stupidly cancelled. Worst decision I've ever made. Can't see the 3080's coming into stock for a while.

Soldato
The 3090 isn't a waste if you can afford it.

If the 3090 leaves the same size dent in a high income household's finances as a 3060 leaves in a low income household's finances, what's the difference? Both people have spent the same amount effectively.

Why question the most expensive GPU? Of course it seems a rip off to an average earner. Why do people let it bother them. I couldn't care less that high end cards are out my price range. I've no idea why people get so triggered.

I can't see anyone triggered? If stock of 3080FE cards was plentiful then this thread wouldn't exist as the OP would be too busy gaming on his. :)

The fact that they've been compelled to ask the question indicates that buyer's remorse will be just around the corner if they do make the purchase. And to answer your question, the difference is around £1200.

Associate
Depends on how the 3080 Ti is priced and what performance it brings to the table. If it’s 3090 performance for £999 then the 3090 is a waste.

Associate
I have had both a 3080 FE and a 3090 Strix oc , what i will say is the performance uplift with a 3090 over a 3080 is noticeable but not quite a £1000 noticeable , it should be a £1200 card at absolute max not £1400 to £1800 :rolleyes:

Associate

The stock situation will improve but not any time soon, I'm betting probably as far as Q2 next year before we see 3080s regularly in stock. The 3090 is not a good gaming card, it's aimed at prosumers because gamers can't make used of that 24GB of RAM which adds a huge premium to the card. It is what you said it is, it's 10-15% faster at over twice the cost, unless you're made of cash that's very hard to justify, I have a fair bit of disposible income but when looking at the value proposition I couldn't justify it, I personally see it as I'd rather get a 3080 and then spend the difference on an really good VR headset or something else.

If you're absolutely desperate for a card ASAP then you should look into various stock/part alert options there are out there, I won't mention any because it might be seen as discussing competitors even though the alert system themselves are not competitors but do your own research. That's how I picked up my card, but it did mean camping at a PC for a long time and being very fast on buy now buttons. Even then you're going to get inflated prices, my 3080 was £800

Permabanned
Ampere is not doing as well as it should have due to being on Smasung's 8nm node. It draws too much power with little overclocking headroom. It's a card that you will want to get rid of ASAP when Hopper/RDNA3 appear. So pick the best value card for your resolution. I want RT and so went with the 3080 for 1440p moving to 1440p UW. If you're looking at 4k and consider RT important then go for the 3090, though a 3080 with DLSS is still performing well at 4k.

I picked up my 3080 for £720.

Soldato
It's terrible, the amount of money you could get a 6800xt or 3080 and an OLED TV or Series X, PS5 plus a 3080.

A 3080 + a cheap car
a 3080 + a new sofa
A 3080 + lots of christmas decorations
A 3080 + lots of takeaways
A 3080 + a chunk to a mortgage

So many different combinations.

But you can't buy any of those products except the oled lol :)

Back
Top Bottom