• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 3090 a 'waste' for gaming?

Soldato
A total waste of money but getting more and more tempting by the day. I know I'll just regret it though, I kick myself over 50 quid let alone 700.

Soldato
While clearly not good value for money, if you have the money to spare, and you need the performance now, it might still be worth it. I wanted a 6800 XT but since they don't exist this year I could just patient and wait . . . or buy a 3090 or 6900 which is kind of wrong but also sort of feels good doesn't it?

Associate
I use the extra VRAM for work (my excuse for buying it :D) but otherwise I'd say it's really bad value, I'd just try and snag a 3080/6800XT pre-order at a good price and be patient.

Associate
How about for VR, esp HMD's like the new HP Reverb G2, with its high resolution displays, surely a 3090 is going to have a larger advantage over a 3080 then?

Associate
If we are still seeing the 3080s for £650 it would be no contest. Cheapest 3090 are around the 14/1500 atm.
Top end aib 3080s are around 800.
Still it's trivial, it's still overpriced.
But it's your choice to buy.
The crazy thing is, the longer it takes for supplies to arrive, the closer we're getting to Hopper.
How long before we have to go through this all over again?

Soldato
Depends on how the 3080 Ti is priced and what performance it brings to the table. If it’s 3090 performance for £999 then the 3090 is a waste.

Assuming you'll be able to get hold of one like the 6900XT its likely to be vapourware until springtime at the earliest, how nvidia thinks it can sell Ti's when can't even meet the existing 3080 orders is beyond me

Associate
Assuming you'll be able to get hold of one like the 6900XT its likely to be vapourware until springtime at the earliest, how nvidia thinks it can sell Ti's when can't even meet the existing 3080 orders is beyond me
They're depending on the impatience of consumers, and hopefully they'll going to flood the scalpers out with different skus.
I almost pity the guy sitting on all the 3070s when the ti's come out

Associate
Of course it's poor value, it's way up the exponential curve of diminishing returns. But I couldn't get a 3080 for anything sensible, and the 3090s were going for only a few quid above retail brand new, so I jumped. It's great, but here's the annoying part - lots of games still struggle to hit 60fps average in 4k ultra. It should feel overkill, but it doesn't.

Soldato
How about for VR, esp HMD's like the new HP Reverb G2, with its high resolution displays, surely a 3090 is going to have a larger advantage over a 3080 then?

Great question. Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but logically it may be correct, if youre headset is cranking out 4k in each eye you could potentialy see VRAM usage over 16gb

edit: only info I could find was a bunch of people saying their games crash with a 1080ti/2080ti cause 11gb vram isn't enough for 4k each eye

So in that regard, yes the 3080 is no good for high resolution VR

Soldato
6900XT is released on 5th December and is proposed as being much cheaper than the 3090 and faster. I imagine the first batch of these will sell like hotcakes so could try your luck in getting one. Depending on the price it may put you off the 3090 more even if you cant get a 6900XT.

I'd wait a couple of days for the 6900XT to be released as that may dull the 3090 temptation. Plus all the AIB 6800XT's maybe worth a wait from reviews as people set about what the AMD cards have in overclocking headroom.

I was all up for the 3090 myself until the uplift in performance didn't match the uplift in price. So ended up getting an overpriced 3080 @ £850 using one of the discord channels alerters - so paid probably ~20% more than RRP, but not 100% more than RRP) for an extra 15% in performance.

The card is good for those that use them for work too and buy against their business, but a bit OTT for just gaming pricewise.

Though these cards chuck out frames high enough on many games in the 100+ FPS even @ 4k, so you arent gonna really need another gfx card for a while unless you are a an MS flightsim pilot or other game that doesnt perform very well. Do these games require so much higher levels of gfx performance or are they just poorly optimised? SOme games with DLSS work very well - I'm impressed with DLSS 2.0.

I've been gaming for 5 years @ 4k and to now have games with all detail at max @ 4k and 100+fps really does look fantastic and I can't see needing another card for quite a while. The VRAM on the 3080 and below is a bit of a backward step from Nvidia but it does have working ray tracing.

Yeah, wait a couple more days for the 6900XT and that may put some sense into your itchy trigger finger, or it may help you go, soddit as you'll not need another card for a longwhile with a 3080, 3090, 6800XT or 6900XT.

Good luck

Associate
....up to 15% in what???..RTX minecraft ???, who the *** play that anyway. Real difference is more like 6-9FPS in any popular title. I had Aorus master 3090 in my check out basket today...I was really tempted to end my suffering and press that "proceed to payment" button....but I didn't. Instead I pre ordered hp reverb g2 and I`ll stick to 3070 until I can upgrade to 3080 in few months time. Yes it would be nice to have fast GPU before cyberpunk and all....but lads ffs... There are so many other things you can spend 1000 quid on. Don`t get into hype of must have it before Christmas....but if you absolutely desperate to get 3080, just pay 900 for some zotac or eagle on ebay and sell it after you get proper AiB model in few moths....still much cheaper option than paying for 3090.
*** scalpers and god bless u all!

Soldato
Yeah good point Legion66661 - you'll never feel or see the difference in a 3090 vs 3080, measure it yes. You'll feel the price though.

Issue with scalpers is having the purchase receipt to activate the warranty. If a card goes wrong in the first year it's usually the retailer that handles the RMA. DOn't know how easy that is to get around. Could be easy but to me, for the money - a worry.

Back
Top Bottom