1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the AppleTV 4K worth it still?

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Junglist, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Captain

Capodecina

Still UHD through VUDU and Movies Anywhere if you have them setup on your APTV.

2. vila

Hitman

Disney wouldn't allow apple to sell the movies in 4k at the same price as HD or for apple to upgrade users with the HD movies to HD as they did for every other Studio.

The stream in 4k on other services.

3. Alpherah

Sgarrista

I think you’ll find when their contracts expire the 4K footage will expire elsewhere too.
    Remember - they were 4K on iTunes for about ~ 7 weeks

4. Captain

Capodecina

Marvel and Disney films will stay UHD on vudu, movies anywhere etc as you have to pay to upgrade from HD to UHD.

5. Junglist

Mobster

Do you still have access to create a moviesanywhere and vudu account for others, Clovis? Finding a VPN that isn't blocked is proving to be tricky! No worries if not though, may finally push me to get a VPN!

6. Captain

Capodecina

Should be able to, I'm at work until 6.30pm tonight but if you trust me with the email you'd like me to try, I'll try when I'm home. :)

No guarantees though for Movies Anywhere, they've done really well to block almost every VPN and DNS provider. :)

7. Junglist

Mobster

Ace! Well if you can't you can't no biggie at all

8. Captain

Capodecina

Setup Movies Anywhere for you, have emailed you the password, you can now log in and change the password. :)

You don't need a VPN/DNS provider to log in and use the MA website. :)

Have also created you a VUDU account which i have setup with the same email and password as Movies Anywhere, enjoy. :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  9. Robert

Capodecina

Any chance you could do this for me? Feel a bit cheeky, so if not - that’s fine!

10. Captain

Capodecina

Yeah no problem at all. :)

Send me a trust message with the email you want to use, just movies anywhere or vudu too? :)

11. Dan_P

Gangster

I've not heard of movies anywhere or vudu - but a quick google and it offered a sign up page?

Am I missing something?

12. Captain

Capodecina

Movies anywhere lets you connect different film distributors into one location.

You can access your movie library from vudu, iTunes, Google play etc all in one place. :)

13. Besty

Mobster

I don't want to Jinx it but I have never had an issue with MoviesAnywhere or Vudu when using Vipr, albeit Vipr being the most expensive of all the options.

Having used MA/Vudu/Google/Itunes together for 18 months now, I would caution that it is not a guaranteed certainty that a Vudu or Itunes purchased movie will appear in MA but most of them do.

In response to the OP, I would say that the Apple 4k box is excellent but the Nvidia Shield I run next to it still edges it slightly with the caveat that it is HDR only and no Dolby Vision.

The software update for the Apple 4k which appeared after Christmas fixed most of my issues with Dolby Vision enabled and there were plenty.

14. Praz94

Wise Guy

I have one but the only thing that really annoys me about it is the fact we can't when I use the youtube app - it doesnt support 4K videos? Like seriously...
    A 4K Apple TV box that doesnt support 4K videos on youtube, what a joke.

Aside from that its easy and quick to use and and looks nice! The screen mirroring is also very useful

15. BMox81

Wise Guy

The new Shield TV does Dolby Vision/Atmos now fwiw.

16. Besty

Mobster

it does but Amazon Prime is now available for the Apple TV and the Shield rarely gets switched on.

17. BMox81

Wise Guy

I’ve just swapped out my ATV for the 2019 Shield so good that it’s available on all platforms.

18. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

That’s a google imposing that limitation because they will only put out the 4K content using their own codec rather than using the standards everyone else does.

...something something wanting you to buy a chrome cast instead.

19. Junglist

Mobster

Use mine daily. In fact it's the only way we watch TV now. Only thing, in my opinion, that needs work is the stupid NowTV app. That app is lightyears behind the app that I have installed on my TV. Makes it a right pain when trying to watch a series. Other than that, I love it.

I think one of my favourite things are the 4K screen savers. Can watch those with music playing for hours

20. Captain

Capodecina

It’s nothing new, Amazon has been available on the Apple TV for months now.