• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is the i7 8700 still going to be a decent gaming CPU for the next few years

Associate
I have bought an alienwear R7 from Dell at a very good price. comes with a i7 8700 and a GTX1080 and was less than £1000

i currently have a i5 3750k cpu from 2013 and a gtx 1080.

I was going to simply upgrade my CPU but everything in my pc is old apart from the gtx 1080.

when i saw the deals on the alienwear i thought i may as well buy a new system and sell the old one or at least the GTX1080 which is less than a year old.

that would then make the new system a bargain.

just want to know that the i8700 is still going to cut it in a couple of years time

my existing CPU has been great but is now struggling

Permabanned
this will be a big ungraded from your 3750k, the 8700 as 6core and 12 threads with a max turbo of 4.6Ghz you should be good for the foreseeable future.

What resolution and frame rate do you like to game at?

Associate
OP
I game on my TV and just change the resolution depending on how taxing the game is

here are the dell specs

specs of the dell

Alienware Aurora R7

Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

Thermal Heatsink Fan for Air Cooling CPU, 65W

8GB GDDR5X NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics

32GB M.2 PCIe Optane Memory

16GB (2x8GB) 2666 MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC Memory

Windows 10 Home (64bit)

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8700 (6 Core, 3.2 GHz, 12MB Cache, 65W)

2 TB 3.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

seems ok for the price. i can then sell my existing system or GPU and get some money back etc

alternatively i need to buy a new CPU, a new MB, some new RAM (i want 16gb at least and only have 8 now) and a new PSU and probably a new case

Soldato
I game on my TV and just change the resolution depending on how taxing the game is

here are the dell specs

specs of the dell

Alienware Aurora R7

Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

Thermal Heatsink Fan for Air Cooling CPU, 65W

8GB GDDR5X NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics

32GB M.2 PCIe Optane Memory

16GB (2x8GB) 2666 MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC Memory

Windows 10 Home (64bit)

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8700 (6 Core, 3.2 GHz, 12MB Cache, 65W)

2 TB 3.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

seems ok for the price. i can then sell my existing system or GPU and get some money back etc

alternatively i need to buy a new CPU, a new MB, some new RAM (i want 16gb at least and only have 8 now) and a new PSU and probably a new case
You will loose a lot of fidelity gaming at a non native resolution. You will get a better visual experience running at 4K with lower settings than at 1440p on a 4K display.

Soldato
cheers for the tip on the display - i did not realise it made a difference. assassins creed has a resolution slider. so is it better to use that and keep the game at 4k native

That’s what I do with my HTPC in the living room hooked up to the 4K tv. Set slider to 80% with pretty much everything else notched up and looks amazing and maintains an absolute rock solid 60fps with that active in game measuring graph, more so in HDR this game. Though that is with a 1080ti and 8700k, but just tweak the graphical settings should work well with that rig you have on the way.

Permabanned
Mid June by best estimates. With keynote announcement on 27th May
Good to know we are not too long to wait now

You will loose a lot of fidelity gaming at a non native resolution. You will get a better visual experience running at 4K with lower settings than at 1440p on a 4K display.
cheers for the tip on the display - i did not realise it made a difference. assassins creed has a resolution slider. so is it better to use that and keep the game at 4k native

yes you should always just at the screens native resolution when possible. just adjust the rendering level if you can or simply drop the setting down.
your CPU as whats need for 4k, the 8700 will help a hell of lot.

just out of interest what is your budget for CPU, ram and motherboard.

Associate
OP
I do not have a minimum budget - my old pc is getting on a bit now and i could do with a replacement of everything really.

dell have also agreed they will knock 10% off the price so it comes in at £880.

I have looked online and even if buying the parts dont seem to be able to beat that price.

Permabanned
I do not have a minimum budget - my old pc is getting on a bit now and i could do with a replacement of everything really.
dell have also agreed they will knock 10% off the price so it comes in at £880.
I have looked online and even if buying the parts dont seem to be able to beat that price.

still.. if you already have a GTX 1080.
all you need an CPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU(maybe)

is your current case reusable?

I am not saying this is the best bundles out but just an example of a £320 saving, if you willing to buy your own parts(not a bundle i mean) i would think there is better options for the same price or less

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,079.59 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Associate
OP
cheers for the link - thats very interesting. I am going to need a case and probably a new PSU.

the upside of the dell is that it will come prebuilt and i should be able to sell my old system for around £400 or even just the GTX1080 for £250

the downside of the dell is that if i come to upgrade my GPU then i am limited to the basic back blower models as the alienwear case is small.

Soldato
You can do better yourself. I built a system for work this week under £1000 all-in, with i5-9600k and 32GB RAM. Plus a 500GB NVMe SSD and 2 x 2TB hard disks. You could drop 16GB RAM and a hard drive, upgrade to 8700k and land around 900 or so. Mine is to be a server at work so I didn't cheap out anywhere in particular - beefy air cooler, Z390 motherboard, good model of 500W semi-modular power supply, 5 extra fans etc.

Back
Top Bottom