• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is the i7 920 good for another year or two?

Permabanned
With a focus on games such as Counter strike source, battlefield 3, skyrim and hopefully arma II and Arma III

Resolution will be 1920x1080

Thanks

Soldato
absolutely fine especially as it overclocks but many people say buy the latest cpu and its not so depends on your strategy

I have it set to 2.6 or 4 and not that often do I bother with 4ghz
CS will run on anything, arma 3 might be a challenge because of the AI but 2.6 still fine I think

Associate
I have it set to 2.6 or 4 and not that often do I bother with 4ghz
CS will run on anything, arma 3 might be a challenge because of the AI but 2.6 still fine I think

I use mine at stock for all my gaming TF2/Borderlands/BF3/RAGE. like mentioned ARMA III might start stressing it a bit but you can limit this with a chunky overclock. i know i will be hanging onto mine for at least a year or two, unless i come into a lot of money.

Associate
Can't see any logical reason to upgrade from this chip. :) Would have to buy everything new, too costly for no real world gain.

Associate
not meaning to hijack this thread but have the same processor overclocked to 4ghz. Im looking to upgrade my machine with a couple of SSD`s etc and would like SATA3 and USB3 capability which my current motherboard does not support. Been reading about the new LGA1155 Z77 chipset and LGA2011 X79 chipsets which support this, but reluctant to lose quite a good processor(1366 slot). Anyone know if there are any 1366 boards coming that will support USB3/SATA3 or If i do have to change the processor, have the question of should I go 1155 or 2011... my minds totally boggled atm.

Lee.

Soldato
not meaning to hijack this thread but have the same processor overclocked to 4ghz. Im looking to upgrade my machine with a couple of SSD`s etc and would like SATA3 and USB3 capability which my current motherboard does not support. Been reading about the new LGA1155 Z77 chipset and LGA2011 X79 chipsets which support this, but reluctant to lose quite a good processor(1366 slot). Anyone know if there are any 1366 boards coming that will support USB3/SATA3 or If i do have to change the processor, have the question of should I go 1155 or 2011... my minds totally boggled atm.

Lee.

a lot of X58 board support SATA3 and usb3 but the marvell controller has trouble reaching full SATA3 speeds and might aswell stick to SATA2 as you will not notice any real world driffrence between 200mb/s and 500mb/s

So keep whaat you have and get a SSD as its the seek times you will notice the diffrence and thats the same on SATA3 and 2

Soldato

Lee.

All of the newer X58 boards should have USB3.0 and Sata3.

OcUK only list one now, but there are plenty of others around.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-322-GI&tool=5

Associate
thanks guys, for some reason Id assumed the X58 did`nt support it since its been out a very long while(purchased mine way back in 2009). Lesson learned there, I should have checked. :D

Thanks again, Lee.

Associate
Intel will not push too hard on the CPU market cause they have the top performance. That is why the old stuff like this 920 are going to be good for at least 2 years. Probably even Haswell would not make them look too old :)

Soldato
Yeah I'm not considering a CPU upgrade until at least Haswell depending on performance it offers/improved power consumption etc. New GPU prices are a little disconcerting though. My trusty overclocked GTX470 is feeling a little old now!:(

Associate
Fellow from Notts, even if the GTX470 may be getting a bit rusty it still has the potential I think. Of couse gaming on 1080 with all extras is not possible in some games. Decrease the details and wait to get a cheaper 7850/70 or soemthing frm the new 6xx series from Nvidia if you really struggle.

Soldato
Fellow from Notts, even if the GTX470 may be getting a bit rusty it still has the potential I think. Of couse gaming on 1080 with all extras is not possible in some games. Decrease the details and wait to get a cheaper 7850/70 or soemthing frm the new 6xx series from Nvidia if you really struggle.

Yeah to be fair it performs well still. Enough for my needs and I only game at 1080p anyway. It's got a custom cooler on too so is really quiet and cool but just fancied some new tech to play with!:D

Associate
This has been my dilema - I've had my i7 920 for over 3 years now. It's clocked at 3.6 and runs fine. But I also wanted to go for SSD and would have liked USB 3.0. Seems apart from a Gigabyte X58 OC it's hard to find any decent Marvel controllers (Black Edition Asus thats super expensive and super hard/rare to get anyway) - (that has the other Marvel controller from what I've read) that take full advantage on LGA 1366

I will probably wait now for 6 core ivy bridge tbh now as I will need new mobo, ram and cpu anyway - so will get SSD and move onto Windows 8 probably by then. The machine runs everything I want fine I would have just liked SSD.

Back
Top Bottom