• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the NVidia RTX performance even worse than previously reported?

Caporegime
OLED is fantastic. Watching the footy in 4K on it looks stunning and minces over my Samsung that is now in the bedroom (but still very good). Blacks and vibrant colours are what seriously makes it stand out.

Associate
OP
Lower end GTX range to be sold well into next year as NVidia has no RTX cards to replace them with !

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/n...o-2019-likely-no-rtx-for-lower-end-cards.html

It is also rumoured that the 2060 and below will NOT be raytracing cards, begging the question why games designers would bother adding ray tracing into games if there are only three high end PC cards which can use it and no consoles likely?

Soldato
Lower end GTX range to be sold well into next year as NVidia has no RTX cards to replace them with !

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/n...o-2019-likely-no-rtx-for-lower-end-cards.html

It is also rumoured that the 2060 and below will NOT be raytracing cards, begging the question why games designers would bother adding ray tracing into games if there are only three high end PC cards which can use it and no consoles likely?

The same thing could be said for every other major feature that has come into real time game graphics. Someone has to make the jump in the hardware or software or we still be at Maze-wars and Asteroids level graphics still.

Associate
OP
The same thing could be said for every other major feature that has come into real time game graphics. Someone has to make the jump in the hardware or software or we still be at Maze-wars and Asteroids level graphics still.

I take your point, but I'm not convinced. For a graphics advance to obtain widespread adoption it has to be widely available and supported by the software companies making the game, and for that to happen there needs to be a decent return on investment for them to bother, otherwise it just isn't worth it. With just three high end cards supporting the tech my point is that this just isn't enough to sustain the games companies profit margins to develop games using it. Unless NVidia can make cheaper cards for widespread take up I think it's likely to be another dead end

Caporegime
I take your point, but I'm not convinced. For a graphics advance to obtain widespread adoption it has to be widely available and supported by the software companies making the game, and for that to happen there needs to be a decent return on investment for them to bother, otherwise it just isn't worth it. With just three high end cards supporting the tech my point is that this just isn't enough to sustain the games companies profit margins to develop games using it. Unless NVidia can make cheaper cards for widespread take up I think it's likely to be another dead end

The thing is, adding real-time RTX effects is actually relatively simple for game designers, the game engines already frequently employ similar techniques for global illumination but with many hacks included to try and gain performance. the benefits are very clear. This is why there are already as many games announced to support RTX as there are DX12 games, because DX12 is much more work for the developers and offers little gains.

When programmable pixel-shaders came out on DX9, only the highest end cards could support it and not at very high speeds. Didn't stop the wide spread support in the generations to come.

Caporegime
Like anything new, there has to be a starting block and you are quite correct, it does need the game devs to take it up but looking at the games coming (11 mentioned I believe), it will take off. Hopefully the first iteration gets some decent performance uplifts and the devs push on with it, as as far as realism goes, RT looks the nuts.

Associate

Money talks :D but seriously it seems game developers are excited to use the technology. Games using the tech will get free marketing from Nvidia and in some cases Nvidia will provide studios with cards for free or at a discount.

High end 2000 series cards are to help lay the foundations for raytracing game development and roll out first gen Turin architecture. Once 7nm cards land, i think all cards will be RTX enabled along with more competitive pricing.

Permabanned
The thing is, adding real-time RTX effects is actually relatively simple for game designers, the game engines already frequently employ similar techniques for global illumination but with many hacks included to try and gain performance. the benefits are very clear. This is why there are already as many games announced to support RTX as there are DX12 games, because DX12 is much more work for the developers and offers little gains.

When programmable pixel-shaders came out on DX9, only the highest end cards could support it and not at very high speeds. Didn't stop the wide spread support in the generations to come.

What I find odd is that the game developers are not adding Microsoft's ray tracing extensions as the first level, and then RTX on top. So far it looks like RTX (DLSS) is used to cover up the smaller performance jump that the 20 series has over the 10. This must also be very expensive for Nvidia, and part of the consumer cost of the 20 series.

Soldato
Money talks :D but seriously it seems game developers are excited to use the technology. Games using the tech will get free marketing from Nvidia and in some cases Nvidia will provide studios with cards for free or at a discount.

High end 2000 series cards are to help lay the foundations for raytracing game development and roll out first gen Turin architecture. Once 7nm cards land, i think all cards will be RTX enabled along with more competitive pricing.

If you want new tech to be used you need to support it and poke dev's to use it. The uptake of shaders would have been a lot slower if it wasn't for Nvidia/MS/ATI, pushing, showing, telling dev’s how to use them.

Its why I think some open and some closed tech never got used much as there no support or no one pushing it to show how it could be used. As even if the tech is advantageous it’s a “different” way of working which will take time and money to implement.

Soldato
OLED is fantastic. Watching the footy in 4K on it looks stunning and minces over my Samsung that is now in the bedroom (but still very good). Blacks and vibrant colours are what seriously makes it stand out.

+1 :D absolutely love mine to bits.

And I too have even tried the top of the line Samsung’s and they don’t really come close to OLED. Blacks, motion and viewing angles mainly.

Plenty of usage in controller based games and does look stunning in films and TV especially in 4k HDR.

Soldato
I have a 43" 4k TV in my office. I can't stand gaming on it due to lack of Gsync and I definitely couldn't use it for any productivity or web surfing (which is what I meant regarding keyboard & mouse). I'm not keen on 16:9 resolution now either. I haven't tested 1080p gaming on it because, well, why would I?

I wouldn’t use mine as a stand alone monitor no but for gaming it is excellent.

And you could also run it at 21:9 as you would have pure black bars bottom and top.

Sure no G-SYNC but it only really makes a difference if you’re running games at lesser than the refresh rate for long periods where you can notice the difference. If you have a card and tune it and the game settings so you have the vast majority of gameplay at 60fps then even if you get short sharp dips you get a bit of stutter. Which you also get with Gsync.

Have played many 4k HDR games on mine and beats every monitor I have ever owned comfortably.

Last edited:
Soldato

tenor.gif

Caporegime
What I find odd is that the game developers are not adding Microsoft's ray tracing extensions as the first level, and then RTX on top. So far it looks like RTX (DLSS) is used to cover up the smaller performance jump that the 20 series has over the 10. This must also be very expensive for Nvidia, and part of the consumer cost of the 20 series.

DLSS and RTX are completely different technologies and use different hardware.

Game developers are not bothering with a straight DXR codebase because AMD doesn't have real-time raytracing hardware, and they haven't released accelerated drivers for software DXR support.
The Gamesworks RTX is built on top of MS DXR, it is just a higher level API that is easier to work with.

Also, i've pretty sure one of the games announced using RTX actually uses native DXR code.

Nvidia has no substantial cost in providing the API to developers. Nvidia always works closely with developers.

Permabanned
DLSS and RTX are completely different technologies and use different hardware.

Yes, Nvidia went to great lengths to explain that. Not to mention it would be a missed opertunity if DLSS could not be used on any part of a scene that was ray traced.

Game developers are not bothering with a straight DXR codebase because AMD doesn't have real-time raytracing hardware, and they haven't released accelerated drivers for software DXR support.

That is my point, you would expect basic RT support on Microsoft's platform.

The Gamesworks RTX is built on top of MS DXR, it is just a higher level API that is easier to work with.

Yep.

Also, i've pretty sure one of the games announced using RTX actually uses native DXR code.

That would be good, as it will allow non DXR cards to run some ray tracing for comparison.

Nvidia has no substantial cost in providing the API to developers. Nvidia always works closely with developers.

I didn't mean they would have a cost to supply, but instead have to pay developers to use RTX while not allowing a DXR fall back.

Back
Top Bottom