Is the original Oculus Rift CV1 worth getting still?

Soldato
So i might be able to get myself a good deal on a secondhand unit on the CV1, but is it worth getting or just go all out on the Rift S?

Recently upgraded my pc so now that i'm in a position to actually use VR, i would want to give it a try.

Caporegime
As Moley says, at the right price, absolutely. I had great fun with mine but moved it on as I really didn’t have enough space to use it effectively.

Soldato
OP
If you can get it for £150 or less then crack on.

As Moley says, at the right price, absolutely. I had great fun with mine but moved it on as I really didn’t have enough space to use it effectively.
I've read somewhere as well that some games require 3 sensors so would it be wise to invest in an additional sensor?

sorry if its a dumb question, its all very new to me this.

Soldato
I've read somewhere as well that some games require 3 sensors so would it be wise to invest in an additional sensor?

sorry if its a dumb question, its all very new to me this.

There are no dumb questions.

3 Sensors does offer a better experience for 360 degree movement. But if you have a small play space two sensors, setup diagonally, might be good enough for you.

If you can't get a 3 sensor setup second hand for around £150, I wouldn't bother. I would just get a new Rift S or Quest.

Soldato
No games require 3 sensors, but most games are enhanced by them.

As Rift is EOL and you can't get spares any more, I wouldn't get a Rift unless you can get it cheap.

Associate
As previously said, if you really are getting a steal on the CV1 then it may be worth it but to be honest I would steer clear at this point and go for a Rift S.

Soldato
If nothing else, the Rift will be a cheap introduction to VR and how well you adapt to it. It also depends upon how many VR titles you want to play. You could spend thousands on a VR setup for just one sim and realise it's just not worth it.

Soldato
I would say if the price is right for sure. The rift S is a sidegrade to the CV1.... sure it has better resolution and less screen door effect, but it drops the OLED screen, has no physical IPD adjustment and controller tracking is not as good as a 3 sensor CV1 set up (try playing sports bar VR on it or some bow and arrow games)

but make sure you check the cable which runs from the headset to your pc. it is proprietary , and no longer made any more. Some try to sell the cable alone for well over £100 and if it breaks your rift is a door stop. I am happy with my CV1 and hoping it will last long enough to take me through to the next VR generation.

ohh if you decide NOT to go for it, also check out the oculus quest.... in some ways it is better than RiftS and in some ways worse, but it is worth consideration.

Soldato
OP
well that fell through, so looking at a new Quest now. I've read that the quest now supports steam/pc games so is it even worth considering the Rift S anymore?

Soldato
well that fell through, so looking at a new Quest now. I've read that the quest now supports steam/pc games so is it even worth considering the Rift S anymore?

Quest is a great headset (I have one myself) and the link feature (which requires an £90 cable for best results) is a great way to have access to the PC library.

However, please bear in mind that:
  • The Quest can be a very uncomfortable headset without mods such as a counterweight, or extra padding. (I still have issues getting mine comfortable, and I've tried loads of different mods). The Rift S is by most accounts a very comfortable headset. (I don't have a Rift S, only a CV1 currently).
  • The refresh rate is only 72hz compared to 80hz on the Rift S
  • The Link software is beta and is often broken by updates to the main Oculus client, when the Quest OS and the Oclulus client versions go out of sync. (Oculus are trying to fix this).
  • The tracking only has four cameras compared to the Rift S five cameras. In most circumstances the Quest's tracking is plenty good enough. In fact the Quest may be better for FPS games when your guns are in front of you, as more cameras can see them. The Rift S cameras seem to give more reliable tracking at the sides (for bow and arrow games for example).
  • The Quest uses OLED panels which are very vivid with dark blacks, but also show more screen door effect than the Rift S LCD screens. The Rift S screens are very clear, but have poor blacks.
  • The really big advantage of the Quest is the ability to take it to large areas and play without wires.

Soldato
W
Quest is a great headset (I have one myself) and the link feature (which requires an £90 cable for best results) is a great way to have access to the PC library.
Whilst I agree with most of this, this bit in bold depends on what you mean by best results. There is currently zero difference in picture quality between the official cable and cheaper USB 3.1 cables available on the rainforest, though note the lighter weight and extra length will improve the experience. This may change in the future but for now it's fine to use the cheaper cables if you can deal with the weight and length shortcomings (I'm waiting to pick up the cable once Link comes out of beta).

Associate
Yep, I'm using an Amazon basics cable for Link access with my Quest and have no issues what so ever, in fact i'm amazed by how good the experience is considering Link is still in Beta.

I echo the opinion on Quest comfort though, it really can be uncomfortable for extended sessions in it's un-modded form although I have read many people say they don't have a problem so I guess its down to people's head shape at the end of the day.
If only PCVR gaming is your main objective then I still think the Rift S is the best option right now (as long as IPD is not an issue) if you cannot afford a Valve Index or other high-end headset. I wanted best of both worlds so I'm happy with the Quest.

Soldato
You dont need a cable and Oculus link to play PC games on the Quest. Just use Virtual Desktop via Sideload. PC gaming with no wires! I hardly use the USB C cable I bought for the Link. You can also tinker with a lot of behind the scenes graphics settings too to improve or alter the image to suit.

Only extra comfort I have bought so far is the VR Cover Head Strap Foam which makes a big difference that I didnt expect to comfort.

Soldato
You dont need a cable and Oculus link to play PC games on the Quest. Just use Virtual Desktop via Sideload. PC gaming with no wires! I hardly use the USB C cable I bought for the Link. You can also tinker with a lot of behind the scenes graphics settings too to improve or alter the image to suit.

Only extra comfort I have bought so far is the VR Cover Head Strap Foam which makes a big difference that I didnt expect to comfort.

The latency is noticeable as well as controller tracking jitter despite being on 5ghz and PC wired for me compared to the link cable so would say it depends on each person.

Last edited:
Soldato
True it works fine for me and I`m using a crappy BT Superhub II and 2.4ghz but it will only get better as the software matures and you can taylor the quality settings too. I actually have more problems with the Link crashing not working properly.

Either way its two more pluses for the Quest to consider. Like best of both worlds. Wires free was a massive game changer for me with VR.

Soldato
I've never had a satisfactory experience with wireless game streaming on the Quest. It's always been too blurry or too glitchy. And that's despite being right next to the router. I have heard that using a wireless card or dongle on the PC and setting up a Windows 10 wireless hotspot can improve the experience.

Back
Top Bottom