• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the Q6600 any good?

Man of Honour
Could it also be Windows only identifying 2 cores (from previous 2 core CPU installed), and not the 4 of the Q6600.

Never seen that problem myself but I have heard of it happening with OEM systems like HP and so on.

Some of those OEM systems have awful BIOS level support for anything which isn't part of the original product spec range :(

Associate
OP
I've reset the BIOS, after doing so I noticed an increase in speed. Windows started up much faster and the computer is working better now and I've downloaded CPUZ and CPU temperature monitor. Hard drive is mostly always at 100% but I'll be getting an SSD for this. I only have 64GB SSD's left all my higher capacity ones I've used in other machines. I will order a 120GB PNY one in a bit.

Just out of interest how would I over clock the Q6600 in the HP DC7900 BIOS?

Soldato
I've reset the BIOS, after doing so I noticed an increase in speed. Windows started up much faster and the computer is working better now and I've downloaded CPUZ and CPU temperature monitor. Hard drive is mostly always at 100% but I'll be getting an SSD for this. I only have 64GB SSD's left all my higher capacity ones I've used in other machines. I will order a 120GB PNY one in a bit.

The bios may not allow overclocking, so you might have more luck with the BSEL tape mod depending on the bus speed.

Soldato

Or something like this

Associate
OP
I still play with old LGA 775 equipment, as it still runs I see no point binning it.

My daughters 1st PC (just to get her started before high school) is an old LGA 775 system and with an E8500 and 4gb of Dominator GT ram. I found it rather lacking recently just with W10, Youtube and general multipage browisng, so have decided I will put a Q9550 and 8gb of memory in there.

I am currently using a Q9550/Asus Maximus II Gene/8gb ddr2, it was a far smoother experience than the old dual core.
Socket 775 stuff are brilliant. They are one of my favorite boards. They can have a wide range of use from a retro Windows 98 build to a fairly "in my opinion" modern system. They take a wide variety of processors. Its hard to imagine that processors like the Q6600 Q8300 and Q9550 were released 2007/2008 I was still using Pentium 4 back then.

Associate
OP
The overall performance is still pretty terrible even though Windows started up faster after the BIOS reset. Bench marks were off the scale lower than low 3 FPS. It could be better. I wasn't able to complete the bench mark. CPU temp reached 71'C which is about normal for a quad core. I also got an error about out of virtual memory? I have 8GB of DDR2 RAM in this. I possibly could have a failing hard drive as its always high between 90% and 100% or could be due to Windows 10 constantly running processes.

Soldato
The overall performance is still pretty terrible even though Windows started up faster after the BIOS reset. Bench marks were off the scale lower than low 3 FPS. It could be better. I wasn't able to complete the bench mark. CPU temp reached 71'C which is about normal for a quad core. I also got an error about out of virtual memory? I have 8GB of DDR2 RAM in this. I possibly could have a failing hard drive as its always high between 90% and 100% or could be due to Windows 10 constantly running processes.

What bench software are you using and what are the results you're getting.

Man of Honour
or could be due to Windows 10 constantly running processes.

Windows 10 is horrific for background processes even when running properly in that respect never mind it often doesn't run properly - I have to shutdown so much stuff even on a high end system to not be bothered by it and on a HDD that would be even worse.

Another fan of the Q6600 here :) One of the longest lasting processors I've ever had, and my first quad core. And yeah, Socket 775 was awesome, in retrospect...

Bullet proof as well - I had one running 24x7 for several years with high load, water cooled at 3.825GHz IIRC 1.6+v I believe - been awhile now. Fully expected it to die but it is still working today. Used it for stuff like longer video encoding tasks, compiling data for video game development, bit of Folding, etc. it was rarely running less than 70+% load.

Associate
OP
What bench software are you using and what are the results you're getting.
I'm using Performance Test 9.0 Evaluation. It never properly completes and I don't get the final results I just see some of them before it crashes. I tried another benchmark software which did the same. It seems to struggle when it hits the 3D part of the test.

Associate
Bullet proof as well - I had one running 24x7 for several years with high load, water cooled at 3.825GHz IIRC 1.6+v I believe - been awhile now. Fully expected it to die but it is still working today. Used it for stuff like longer video encoding tasks, compiling data for video game development, bit of Folding, etc. it was rarely running less than 70+% load.

Didn't use mine that much but the free 50% overclock on the G0 SLACR (?) iteration was astounding at the time :eek: Well still is, really... :)

Soldato
If you can overclock and it is a g0 stepping, DO IT.

Was a banana's overclocker at the time.

P.s. if you haven't already, change the OS hard drive in your system to an SSD. The biggest improvement you can make in my opinion..massive difference in performance even on slow CPUs, and a thing a lot of people overlook.

Associate
Q9650 can be rather overpriced and rare these, as such not really worth it, second hand prices for a decent P45 board and Q9650 are bordering on more expensie than Haswell and later motheroard and i7/i5 second hand prices.

Same with 4x4gb DDR2 1066 kits, I gave up looking, on the rare occasions you see a possible set or even two modules it's more expensive than buying new DDR4.

Associate
Q9650 can be rather overpriced and rare these, as such not really worth it, second hand prices for a decent P45 board and Q9650 are bordering on more expensie than Haswell and later motheroard and i7/i5 second hand prices.

Same with 4x4gb DDR2 1066 kits, I gave up looking, on the rare occasions you see a possible set or even two modules it's more expensive than buying new DDR4.
Is the Q6600 ddr2 only?
I would still recommend the q9650, sometimes its not always the "budget" chip that wins out, in terms of overclocking ease and capability.

Back
Top Bottom