Is the shortage simply to increase demand?

Soldato
I was thinking like every console when they first come out there's always a shortage and its so it's done to obvously increase the demand and get people even more hyped about getting one.

If this is a sales tactic there should be plenty of Wiis to go around by crimbo. I wonder when the second batch is coming? Has I want my flaming Wii NOW. :mad:

Associate
I've been saying this for a couple days now. The Wii went from 'Will be plenty to go round' to sold out everywhere in a week.

Unless there was a shipping delay somewhere then i cant really see what the delay is apart from sales tactics like you said.

Permabanned
next batch will be arriving early next week, definately on sale for wednesday.

There are plenty more coming before christmas.

Shops are expecting weekly deliveries

Soldato
mcmad said:
next batch will be arriving early next week, definately on sale for wednesday.

There are plenty more coming before christmas.

surely that next batch is going to go to all those of us who were promised a launch day console first, then those who ordered later, if it doesnt I'll be mad

Soldato
A game selling store... next to mine are getting them in mid/end of next week.. so ill be getting me one then i think.. was using my mates last night.. and im addicted!! but i think i need a bigger room :eek:

Permabanned
Squark said:
surely that next batch is going to go to all those of us who were promised a launch day console first, then those who ordered later, if it doesnt I'll be mad

I assume the shops will fulfill the pre-orders first.

I did find out that some rather large shops didn't bother ordering many (think the very large supermarket & electrical chains) as they didn't expect much demand & are now scrambling to order as many as they can before christmas..

Associate
This is not and can never be a sales tactic, especially when there are competitors around.

The target for companies like MS, Nintendo and Sony are not the fanboys and fangirls who will buy the console no matter how long they need to wait, its the average joe consumer who may want a console (any console) or wants to buy their kid something for xmas.

Now if joe goes into the shop and sees that there an none of these consoles avaialable but others which look the same to them are available, then they will just buy it as they won't have time to scouer the streets for that particular console.

Undersupplying any retail item is big mistake at launch. Luckily Nintendo aren't in as bad shape as Sony are or MS were when the 360 was released. But unlike MS, Sony and Nintendo have an estabilished competitor with plenty of stock to capitalize on any shortfall in availability.

Soldato
I think you're being a little naive there mate.

Shortages or word of them gets people talking about it and gets publicity. This gets people rushing out to try and snap one up quick before they all sell-out. It also gets people who wouldn't normally pre-order, pre-ordering.

I've never pre-ordered anything in my life... until the Wii. Why? word of mouth supposed shortages.

Associate
Chong Warrior said:

Shortages or word of them gets people talking about it and gets publicity. This gets people rushing out to try and snap one up quick before they all sell-out. It also gets people who wouldn't normally pre-order, pre-ordering.

I've never pre-ordered anything in my life... until the Wii. Why? word of mouth supposed shortages.

Granted hype can be monster of a marketing machine but again that is for people who have half an idea of what it is.

If you have no idea what these particular consoles are and can do, then you will get whats available and affordable and hype will have no affect on you. Which IMO is why the 360 and Wii will be the winners overall. Especially around a holiday period when the consumer will be looking to get something for Christmas day rather than wait for it to come back in stock later. Just IMO though.

Caporegime
Hype, if you can't get one everyone wants one. I believe that nintendo have enough to go around. I also believe without trying to hard I will have one for xmas for my wife. I refuse to trawl shops and the internet.

Associate
Yeah, Im thinking its true, from the updates I got from our dealer it seems some were held back, the logistics were all in place and they seemed to go smoothly, just with half empty trucks :confused:
I was in the USA for the N64 first 2 weeks of release, talk about consumer frenzy.

Permabanned
Chong Warrior said:

I think MS will capitalise on this and get extra sales. Some blinding 360 deals around at the moment.

Soldato
The way i see it.. Nintendo aint too bothered about the other consoles.. let them have their little war.. we will sell something new.. something never seen before.. something really fun that everyone can enjoy.. there we have the wii.. nearly everyone who buys a 360 or ps3 will be thinking about getting a wii also... its fast turning into one of them "Must have" items.. ive seen and heard of countless parents getting up and having ago etc.. gonna be a BIG hit this christmas.

Permabanned
ZG002 said:
The way i see it.. Nintendo aint too bothered about the other consoles.. let them have their little war.. we will sell something new.. something never seen before.. something really fun that everyone can enjoy.. there we have the wii.. nearly everyone who buys a 360 or ps3 will be thinking about getting a wii also... its fast turning into one of them "Must have" items.. ive seen and heard of countless parents getting up and having ago etc.. gonna be a BIG hit this christmas.

The more I play it and the more successful it appears to be the more convinced I am that motion sensitive controllers and games that use them will be common place on all consoles very soon.

Given the extra processing power of the PS3 and 360 and the licences they hold to games like Tiger Woods and Fight Night I will be gobsmacked if we don't have motion versions of these out very soon. Online golf tournaments using motion sensitive controllers with the graphical prowess of the 360 and the wonderful Live service.... it can't NOT happen.

Back
Top Bottom