Is the xbox one x worth buying these days?

Associate
You just reminded me that I need to pack up my OneX and sell it!

As mentioned though, it's swings and roundabouts between the OneX and sS, as they both get their own enhancements. With legacy games I'd say the OneX is better, but with new games the series S.........and a lot of it is a toss up between eye candy or framerate.

Soldato
i bought the series s, dont regret it eithr, cracking system for under 250 quid and with game pass, its a nice value system while gpu market recovers, though i only have mine running at 1080p 120hz as tv cant do 120hz @ 1440p or 4k only 60hz

Associate
Personally I would say it depends on how much cheaper the One X is. But the Series S makes more sense because it is newer, widely available and is going to play many cross-gen games better.

However the One X is still a very capable console and benefits from having more internal storage, better audio output and Xbox One X Enhanced games - which is a pretty big deal if playing older games like Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Star Wars: KOTOR.

Man of Honour
Personally I would say it depends on how much cheaper the One X is. But the Series S makes more sense because it is newer, widely available and is going to play many cross-gen games better.

However the One X is still a very capable console and benefits from having more internal storage, better audio output and Xbox One X Enhanced games - which is a pretty big deal if playing older games like Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Star Wars: KOTOR.

How does it have better audio output?

Optical is pretty poor by today's standards.

Soldato
Also people keep talking about the one X enhancements like it's the best thing ever. The series S has its own enhancements for older games. Also the ssd loads games so must faster.

Associate
How does it have better audio output?

Optical is pretty poor by today's standards.

Because the Xbox One has more choice and even if Optical was an aging standard, it is one that wasn't replaced. But apologies maybe I should have worded my point slightly differently (i.e. more about connectivity). My point is more from the angle of someone heavily using headphones rather than running an AV setup with speakers (ignoring AV users still using Optical perhaps). It was more likely taken out because of licensing and Optical is an open-standard.

Virtually all headphone DAC/AMP options use USB and/or Optical to connect. You can use HDMI extractors or your TV audio out but that potentially introduces its own problems (for example - my Samsung TV will introduce audio lag when trying to run Dolby Digital through the TV). Optical works and it's pretty cool being able to plug something like a SBX G6 straight into the Xbox and decoding that Dolby Digital signal into virtual surround - a lot of the old 360/One era games use DD.

There was a great thread here on the MS forums but you potentially have this situation where for certain old games the headphone audio extracted may be not be as high fidelity as on the older hardware, or not as easily. Unfortunately we know from NPD figures headsets is an rapidly growing segment of the market, but I suspect more serious headphones users aren't a priority for the console makers.

Also people keep talking about the one X enhancements like it's the best thing ever. The series S has its own enhancements for older games. Also the ssd loads games so must faster.

If you don't play those games it might not be a big deal. But as someone who has been an Xbox gamer since the beginning it's been very cool to go back to some of the old games and to see them so enhanced. Playing Fallout 3 recently (a game I haven't played since my 360) its been very cool seeing it run in 4K, with all the small enhancements.

Man of Honour
Because the Xbox One has more choice and even if Optical was an aging standard, it is one that wasn't replaced. But apologies maybe I should have worded my point slightly differently (i.e. more about connectivity).

Thanks for clarifying. If you had said more "better choice for audio output" I would have agreed, but as it was ambiguous I interpreted it as "better quality audio output".

Soldato
OP
Lots of interesting posts in this thread. I cant even remember what games fall under the xbox one x enhancements, but certain ones I saw before I was happy playing them normal on xbox one S, so a lot of optional games won't interest me.

I mainly want another xbox as the game pass is a better experience than on pc, certain games are free on console, but not pc and horizon 5 is coming out not to mention my partners son is an xbox gamer and playing games together from time to time be a lot easier than the whole cross-platform especially when for the likes of fortnite having to be friends via epic games.

I've never experienced proper 4k gaming, but I suppose as I want a ps4 pro as well I don't need to bother too much with xbox making a non 4k model better choice in this instant, the series S is still a well spec console.

Well if we not talking pre-owned from a shop then I have seen the consoles with or without games on fb etc as low as £150, so it varies and those are more easily obtained even if I wasn't to sell my ps4 for one.

Soldato
Whatever you do, skip the Pro and wait for a PS5 (when available). I'm far happier with my PS5 over my noisy Pro. I still enjoy my One X despite having a Series X though

Soldato
OP
Whatever you do, skip the Pro and wait for a PS5 (when available). I'm far happier with my PS5 over my noisy Pro. I still enjoy my One X despite having a Series X though

I dont like the look of the PS5, obviously the pro goes against having a slim because I didnt want a chunky console lol, but its the top for ps4 and the only step up from a normal ps4 that isn't going new gen.

It's not just a budget strain, me I am collecting a laptop for more than a new series X tomorrow, but thats a different matter. My partners son(soon to be 13) is going to get a series X for his birthday in November along with a 4k TV, so I could check it out at that point, but for myself I don't always have time to play games, so I wouldn't see the point in spending too much. The XBX is just to get first hands on a 4k gamer for the 1st time, I much prefer slimmer consoles which is why I had the S before otherwise I'm not too bothered as I tend to be more interested in 4k movies.

Soldato
I dont like the look of the PS5, obviously the pro goes against having a slim because I didnt want a chunky console lol, but its the top for ps4 and the only step up from a normal ps4 that isn't going new gen.

It's not just a budget strain, me I am collecting a laptop for more than a new series X tomorrow, but thats a different matter. My partners son(soon to be 13) is going to get a series X for his birthday in November along with a 4k TV, so I could check it out at that point, but for myself I don't always have time to play games, so I wouldn't see the point in spending too much. The XBX is just to get first hands on a 4k gamer for the 1st time, I much prefer slimmer consoles which is why I had the S before otherwise I'm not too bothered as I tend to be more interested in 4k movies.
Yeh I get ya. Unless you want PS exlusives just grab a second hand One X. Still an excellent console.

Back
Top Bottom