• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is there a 'best' single slot card?

Soldato
found an 1155 socket itx build on fb(£60) that has an i3 2100, it is a full system minus gpu, anyways the case is this

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £62.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

obviously this wouldnt be my ryzen replacement(which i havent sold yet), but it would be a useful system whether id update or not, but the case only has a single slot, so obviously limited, i dont know what the psu is, its silver, so likely cheap in which case(no pun) i will use my 300w sfx silverstone, but as this isnt a gamers inspired case, i wont need to worry about that not to mention my 570 is too big ha.

i cant get it till the weekend, so still got time to browse for alternatives, but i really like the look of this setup and the case is much smaller than i thought which is also a plus to where i want it set up.

Soldato
An Nvidia 1030 is probably as good as it gets, unless you can fit one of those "dual slot cooler with single slot bracket only" in there which opens up 750ti / 1050/ti's I think.

I recall someone made a limited run single slot version of quite a recent mid/high end card. Something like a 780/970. Otherwise I can only think the next true single slot is probably my Nvidia GTX645. As far as I know...

Soldato
OP
An Nvidia 1030 is probably as good as it gets, unless you can fit one of those "dual slot cooler with single slot bracket only" in there which opens up 750ti / 1050/ti's I think.

I recall someone made a limited run single slot version of quite a recent mid/high end card. Something like a 780/970. Otherwise I can only think the next true single slot is probably my Nvidia GTX645. As far as I know...

thanks for reply.

i did think of the 1030, but i wasnt quite sure if that was the best, i still have my gt 710 i kept as a spare, but wanted to generally see what the options were, i only want it because its cool and make a good basic computer/storage system.

i suppose i could buy it and then later on stick a 2400g system in it and forget the slot all together.

Soldato
Inno3D do a single slot 1050 Ti.

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/76...-1050-ti-single-slot-review-flat-as-a-pancake

It's not very widely available though. And looking at your case, I would be a bit concerned about heat as it's not exactly well ventilated. IIRC I've seen a picture of that case modded with vents cut in the top and a fan blowing up through them. That may be the way forward.

Without modifying the case, it's likely to get a bit warm in there...

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks for reply.

i did think of the 1030, but i wasnt quite sure if that was the best, i still have my gt 710 i kept as a spare, but wanted to generally see what the options were, i only want it because its cool and make a good basic computer/storage system.

i suppose i could buy it and then later on stick a 2400g system in it and forget the slot all together.
A 1030 will crap all over that GT 710, I can recommend the Asus 1030, nice little card for 1080p :)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-41h-as.html

Soldato
That 1070 is some impressive engineering, I didn’t know that existed.

The 1030 is available with passive cooling if that is of interest to your intended use.

Soldato
OP
thanks for replies.

i knew there was a highish head single slot, but i thought it was the 970 ha, cant imagine how much that 1070 would cost ha, not that it would fit the case eitherway ;).

as for the passive reference to the 1030, my gt 710 is passive, so im good with that, however im not sure how good the airflow of that case is even with a sfx unit, i know what motherboard and processor used, but obviously cant tell how the insides look with whatever the rest of the specs are.

Soldato
The Q07 is fanless. The GPU heatsink will point downward, toward the hard drive area with absolutely nothing moving air down there. If the system has a 3.5" drive, clearance between that and the GPU cooler will be minimal, meaning any chunky passive heatsink won't fit. You may need to swap to an SSD (for the smaller size and lower heat output) and it may be worth strapping a thin case fan to the 710 if p

Got to be worth a try. But there's every chance that this won't work well. The Q07 is a really tight case with little in the way of ventilation (presumably for aesthetic reasons). I always wanted one, but stuck with Silverstone's SG05 line for these very reasons. It looks nice. But it has a reputation for making airflow management a challenge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom