Is there a case were a motherboard is easy to install against the I/O shield?

Associate
I'm going to be building a capturing rig (basically a Windows XP run system solely used for capturing analog video) Can anyone recommend me a good case that has an I/O shield that easily just clicks into place with the motherboard and not having to line it up and applying brute force with those stupid metal bits in the way, as i don't want to go through that torture again lol, cut myself last time!

Basically one around £30-50, which is a similar size to the Bitfenix Nova, so i can fit in the Cooler Master 212X and for better circulation.

Associate
OP
Oh that's not the main issue. It's getting the bloody motherboard in the thing that's the problem. Click, click, click.. still not in. I'm not particularly strong. Took me about an hour last time, and even then not everything was all the way in, so i just gave up and settled with some ports being a bit further in. It was so frustrating. I guess this is the norm then?

Associate
So there's two things here
Getting the IO shield popped in properly
Getting the Motherboard lined up with the IO shield and the screw holes at the same time
Which leads onto a third thing
Getting the first screw through the motherboard into one of the standoffs

First one is easy enough normally. If the thing is sharp, then grab a teatowel, glove or pair of pants and give it a proper push all the way round until it clicks in fully.
When that's done, the second should be easier.

Some IO Shields have padding on them which can make squeezing the motherboard thru the holes and into position a pain. Generally, I will hold the board in at a bit of an angle and get the ports lined up, then flatten the motherboard down towards the case and push in the direction of the IO shield at the same time. This should then lead to getting the holes and standoffs lined up.

A screwdriver which doesnt drop the screws helps with the third one. Or a bit of blu-tac (remember to take it off when the screw is in place).

Once you have one screw in (don't tighten it fully), the rest should be easy unless your fitting or the case are on the wonk.

Associate
OP
Hmm, cant say I have ever had this issue. Just line it up, wiggle a bit, done. Plus cases dont have IO shields, the motherboard does.

Oh yes, so they do! I forgot lol. Perhaps the IO shield will be easier to install, as it's a different motherboard this time round. So i can buy any case without worrying about that issue then. Another problem solved. Thanks :)

So there's two things here
Getting the IO shield popped in properly
Getting the Motherboard lined up with the IO shield and the screw holes at the same time
Which leads onto a third thing
Getting the first screw through the motherboard into one of the standoffs

First one is easy enough normally. If the thing is sharp, then grab a teatowel, glove or pair of pants and give it a proper push all the way round until it clicks in fully.
When that's done, the second should be easier.

Some IO Shields have padding on them which can make squeezing the motherboard thru the holes and into position a pain. Generally, I will hold the board in at a bit of an angle and get the ports lined up, then flatten the motherboard down towards the case and push in the direction of the IO shield at the same time. This should then lead to getting the holes and standoffs lined up.

A screwdriver which doesnt drop the screws helps with the third one. Or a bit of blu-tac (remember to take it off when the screw is in place).

Once you have one screw in (don't tighten it fully), the rest should be easy unless your fitting or the case are on the wonk.

Thanks for the info! I just don't want a repeat of last time lol. Like where it doesn't seem to stay in place after it clicks, even pushing it against it as hard as i could, and the standoffs on the IO shield were a pain, even obstructing access to one of the usb ports, so i had to bend some of them back in the end. It would be handy if you could get one that just screws into place.

So generally would you put the first screw in the bottom right or left hand corner?

Associate
Standoffs are the (usually brass) hex shaped things with a screw in one end and a threaded hole in the other. They screw into the case and you screw the motherboard onto them.

Associate
I'm going to be building a capturing rig (basically a Windows XP run system solely used for capturing analog video) Can anyone recommend me a good case that has an I/O shield that easily just clicks into place with the motherboard and not having to line it up and applying brute force with those stupid metal bits in the way, as i don't want to go through that torture again lol, cut myself last time!

Basically one around £30-50, which is a similar size to the Bitfenix Nova, so i can fit in the Cooler Master 212X and for better circulation.

Ok, first of all, the amount of force required to install an I/O shield is extremely minimal. If you had to use force, you did it wrong. Also, there is ZERO force involved between the board itself and the I/O shield. You're supposed to bend back the tabs so that they press up against the rear I/O to help ground the motherboard. I've never cut myself building a PC and I'm bewildered by people who manage to do so. There is zero force involved in building a PC. The only thing that requires a (extremely slight) force is RAM installation. If you use force to build a PC you are doing it wrong.

And no there is no "easy to install IO shield" because they're all easy to install :) ;)

BTW not mentioning names but there are some wacky responses in this thread. Install IO shield, make sure tabs are bent back a bit using some common sense, line up the board and use your left hand to put a (tiny, maybe 500g) force on the right hand side of the board to press it into the i/o shield while you use a magnetised screwdriver to carry a screw over to the first hole you're going to tighten with your right hand.

Associate
I can't say I've ever had this problem either.
I've never had to "force" anything, I ain't no jedi.

Admittedly I won't use a £19.99 cheapo case.
Just bend the tabs till the shield fits the board properly and fit the board.

Lianli with removable motherboard tray is my favorite.

Associate
I can't say I've ever had this problem either.
I've never had to "force" anything, I ain't no jedi.

Admittedly I won't use a £19.99 cheapo case.
Just bend the tabs till the shield fits the board properly and fit the board.

Lianli with removable motherboard tray is my favorite.

I've used $20 cases and I still got the IO shield in no problem :p
I don't advocate $20 cases but the customer is always right, even when they're very very wrong, and if someone paid me for it I'd wrap a copper wire around a pistachio and throw it in a diablotek case and call it a PC. :)

Back
Top Bottom