Is there a "right" time to buy a car?

Soldato
In the sense that they're cheaper?

I've been looking for a car for a month or two now, and have noticed prices creeping up a little, mainly because there have been less and less cars within my budget (there were, on average, around 10 a week, now only 3).

Could this simply be because there aren't many cars for sale currently, or is it because prices creep up slightly during the holiday season?

Let me know your observations :)

Associate
Most people like buying cars in Spring/Summer and around the new registrations so prices are normally premium.

Autumn/Winter would be a good time to buy as it's usually a quiet period, so prices tend to come down to make sales.

Caporegime
depends on your budget. if prices are going up i am assuming you have quite a low budget.

depreciation usually means the best time to buy a car is when it's 3-4 years old. depreciation slows down at this point but reliability is still just as good. you still have the option to extend warranties and most cars within the first 3 years will have had decent service plans built in so won't have been neglected unless it was "serviced" by arnold clark.

if prices were going up across the board that either means less people are buying and therefore more people are keeping their cars longer and therefore less are selling. that usually isn't a good sign for the economy if so.

Soldato
OP
depends on your budget. if prices are going up i am assuming you have quite a low budget.

depreciation usually means the best time to buy a car is when it's 3-4 years old. depreciation slows down at this point but reliability is still just as good. you still have the option to extend warranties and most cars within the first 3 years will have had decent service plans built in so won't have been neglected unless it was "serviced" by arnold clark.

if prices were going up across the board that either means less people are buying and therefore more people are keeping their cars longer and therefore less are selling. that usually isn't a good sign for the economy if so.

The budget isn't "low", in the sense of total value, but it's quite tight for the spec I'm after, if that makes sense

If anything now is the best time as nobody wants a new car this close to Christmas.

That's what I thought as well; I think my problem is that the type of car I'm looking at is probably a common xmas present, so it offsets the time of year thing

Soldato
That's what I thought as well; I think my problem is that the type of car I'm looking at is probably a common xmas present, so it offsets the time of year thing

If the budget is not 'low' then are they really a common present? It may just be its the time of year, people are focused on other things.

Soldato
OP
If the budget is not 'low' then are they really a common present? It may just be its the time of year, people are focused on other things.

I know a lot of people my age who were bought a car for xmas around the budget I'm looking at, and as there aren't that many cars to begin with (of this model), it would only take 20 people or so after that particular car (which is quite sought after already) for it to rise just a tad around this time of year :/

Caporegime
If anything now is the best time as nobody wants a new car this close to Christmas.
Absolutely, or wait until January where people are desperate to off load the car to pay for the Christmas & New Year over expenditure.

I’m curious, what car is it given it’s likely to be given as a present? A Matchbox? :D

Soldato
As above, either near Christmas or I usually aim to buy at the end of the financial year (assuming I'm looking sometime around that point in time) if buying from a dealer.

Obviously this doesn't always work but they're quite often keen to get things done through March

Caporegime
I’d have thought the logical “best time” to buy a car is either a) when you need one, or b) when the right car comes up at the right spec at the right price.

That said, convertibles tend to be notably cheaper in winter, and spike on the run up to summer or during hot weather.

Soldato
OP
I’m curious, what car is it given it’s likely to be given as a present? A Matchbox? :D

2013 Zetec S, sub 70K miles with 6K budget

One of the only cars that's reasonable insurance and maintenance

There are plenty of other cars I'd rather get for the money but they're mega pricey on insurance, and the fiesta seems to hold its value well

Soldato
Arnold Clark’s Real Sale has just started! Buy buy buy. But our cars are generally reduced and our margins are tighter during the sale.
Full disclosure, I work for them.
Trust me for a half price service plan!

Soldato
We’re looking to replace Rex so having been looking at Kia Sportages. Although some have sold quickly, it’s apparently the best time to buy now. People are less interested in buying just before Christmas, apparently.

That said, we’re going to look at a Sportage on Saturday!

Soldato
End of quarters have always yielded good results for me. Finding a dealer with stock they want to register ASAP.

My current car was an order which was cancelled and was sat on the dock. As it was March they were crying to move it.

Back
Top Bottom