is there an actual point of the UP Gti?

Soldato
i noticed the other week a TSI up which looking it up is a 90hp turbo model, why was this model not used instead? seems a rare model and if they was using the mk1 golf gti as inspiration if i remember the initial video correctly then that started off with 90hp.

just seems a little odd.

Soldato
If you want a small hot hatch there are better options out there and they even let you switch the TC off, unlike the Up :p

Soldato
OP
yeah i know theres better and the gti has the upgraded chassis stuff etc, but the point i was making is why wasnt any of that put on the 90hp model and used that as the flagship car!, its not like the gti version offers much more really overall. i thought it was 60-75hp n/a versions then the gti, i hadnt realised there was this middle man version which is what surprised me lol.

Soldato
why wasnt any of that put on the 90hp model and used that as the flagship car!, its not like the gti version offers much more really overall.

Well it basically was except they also retuned the engine to deliver an extra 25hp?

Are you saying that rather than have a 13.2s to 60mph version, a 9.9 and adding the GTI at 8.8, they should have just stuck with 13.2 and 9.9s cars and called the 9.9 one the GTI?

They'd have got even more flack than they did from the 'it's not a hot hatch unless it's faster than an 80s Ferrari' crew.

Soldato
yeah i know theres better and the gti has the upgraded chassis stuff etc, but the point i was making is why wasnt any of that put on the 90hp model and used that as the flagship car!, its not like the gti version offers much more really overall. i thought it was 60-75hp n/a versions then the gti, i hadnt realised there was this middle man version which is what surprised me lol.

Do you mean you object to the GTi badge and it should have remained badged as TSi, or that there is no point in the 90PS TSi model? I don't quite understand what you are trying to say.

Soldato
A pro driver will dust most of these amateurs in pretty much anything on the Nurburgring though. Power doesn't make something quick on a track.

Associate
The point is it’s cheap non-take-it’s-self-too-serious fun.

your over analysing is already missing the point of the car.

Soldato
OP
not technically saying it should have less power, but what was the point of the tsi seeming as from what i can tell its the least desired model or uncommon anyways, the fact they went along and turbo'd the car over other 1ltr cars in its class or other models under VAG was impressive enough, in real world 8.8 & 9.9 seconds to 60 will hardly be noticeable, plus i think the gti is heavier? i watched a carwow video and it just about beat the slow mk2 gti golf.

loads of males drive these cars and not just the gti, i would have a vw UP or the citygo as a project car, its not that girly compared to others.

the UP gti isnt an hot hatch either lol.

anyways i just feel they couldve done more with the tsi model without making a 2nd version.

Back
Top Bottom