Is there an easy way to "immediately" get broadband access in a house?

Soldato
So Sky have worked wonders on our account and we now have no telephone line/broadband for 2+ weeks.

Is there a reasonable/quick means to plug a device into my house (eg: into my router) to give me internet access (eg: 4G)?

Soldato
OP
There 's no way to simpy plug a device into my existing network which then provides interenet access to that network? ie: Just like a standard ADSL router? But over 4G?

I have a myriad of devices probably 50/50 wired and wireless, so just hoping to plug something into my network in place of the ADSL router in effect?

Soldato
There 's no way to simpy plug a device into my existing network which then provides interenet access to that network? ie: Just like a standard ADSL router? But over 4G?

I have a myriad of devices probably 50/50 wired and wireless, so just hoping to plug something into my network in place of the ADSL router in effect?

Draytek do routers that will take a USB 4g adaptor.

Edit: I'm sure that someone like Edimax or Asus will do them as well. Just bare in mind that the useage costs of 4g is quite high. Running up a bill in the hundreds would not be difficult.

Soldato
Depends on location as they don't cover everywhere and the signal may be bad, but i have used a company called Relish before, they supply 4G routers. 4 ports i think. Think you can do it month per month, but i may cost ya only for 1 month.

Soldato
OP
Depends on location as they don't cover everywhere and the signal may be bad, but i have used a company called Relish before, they supply 4G routers. 4 ports i think. Think you can do it month per month, but i may cost ya only for 1 month.
Relish don't support my area (HP10)...

Soldato
OP
Tether your phone via USB to your PC.

Share the tethered internet connection via control panel to the wired network card.

Use a cable router and plug your PC into the routers WAN port.
Wow! And that will then give my existing wired/wireless network access to the internet (through that PC tethered to the phone)?

Am I right in saying you need tethering enabled as part of your contract? Or is it just available no matter what?

Soldato

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-4691_Archer-MR200.html

Has a SIM slot on the back, so easy - just expect to eat data once multiple WiFi devices are used.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
So, could that provide the platinum solution of simply plugging into my existing router and it then provides a gateway to the internet for all my existing wired and wireless devices? ie: No computers, phones and other devices need attention at all!

Easiest thing is to replace your existing router with it. If you have a router with an Ethernet port, you could set that to DHCP but then you are double NATing and things can get messy. If you setup the Archer with the same IP settings and WiFi details as your existing, should be an easy temporary swap.

Back
Top Bottom