1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any point to full ATX for a gaming build?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Quartz, Jul 11, 2018 at 10:48 PM.

1. Quartz

Soldato

So you're building your super-duper gaming rig. The basis is, of course, the motherboard. But with SLI and XF being deprecated, why bother going full ATX? Why have anything more than mATX?

2. IT Troll

Wise Guy

For one big reason. Choice.

I went mATX, but you just don’t seem to get much choice now. On Intel you will get a handful of budget boards and maybe a couple of midrange. On AMD the choice is even worse.

3. eddiew

Wise Guy

Yeah, all the best quality boards (talking VRMs mostly) are ATX.

mATX is often more of a compromise than ITX; it really is the middle child.

4. Orcvader

Capodecina

All the high end features and focus seems to be on ATX boards. If mATX had the same love I would've easily picked it over ATX. Back on my old Sandy Bridge build there was at least a couple of decent choices, but for Ryzen there was hardly any.

5. Dave Burton

Associate

I used an MSI Mortar Matx for my recent 6600k build, and find it perfect for my needs. I'd only ever consider ATX if there was no other choice now, it's a simple waste of real estate as the case etc needs to be bigger to house them...

6. bakes0310

Capodecina

I went from a eatx board in a Corsair 900d case. Even though I had two gpu's and h115 to cool the CPU it was a collassal waste of space. So I built my current pc which is an itx which has been amazing with just one card and I can still fit a h115 to cool the CPU. No regrets apart from probably not enjoying the right build as I have a aio for the CPU and an aio GPU, but it has no affects on performance.

7. skylineboy

Wise Guy

I think it can be summarised by features and aesthetics.

Features:
    SLI and CF are still around and there are some who see great benefit to them. Some games support them in DX12 very well, others not so well. It is an area that needs further direct input from the developers. But some features like double M.2 slots or 6x Sata or similar are equally important to some people and tend to only be available on larger boards. I prefer the larger boards for the wider range of features available. As mentioned above, the better features like excellent VRM solutions as well as

Aesthetic
    I've owned some large cases (TJ07 & 900D) so I do understand the real estate problem some people describe. I use the larger cases for the water cooling space. A mini ITX or mATX board in a large tower looks odd especially when it is dwarfed by a full length gpu and two 480mm radiators. Is the board required to be ATX, no. Do I require the space, yes because I need the extra space for silent fan profiles. Do I like the look of a mini ITX board in a full tower case, no. So that is why I will go for ATX as long as I am able to.

I do love the look of some of the ITX boards however and a mini powerhouse under my tv is something I'll do in the future for sure.