Is there such a thing as.. Head unit with ability to display instrument data?

Soldato
I am wanting to have some extra instruments. (Particularly EGT and ATF temp) But do not wish to hack about with my dash or use those Pod things.

Does anybody make a head unit that is also capable of receiving electrical data (Say, Oil temperature) and displaying it. Even better is one could set parameters like alarm condition.

I have had a very quick google but to no avail, I am guessing that should such a thing exist, somebody here should know of it..

Soldato
Any Android-based headunit should support Torque Pro, so plug in a svelte OBD-II dongle (about £4 off eBay) and you'd be in business, I'd have thought. I've not done it myself, mind.

Soldato
As above.

Android head unit if there is one made for you car.

Download torque Pro or other software that works for your car.

Load it up. Display what you want. Away you go.

Soldato
I guess it depends if your car has all the sensors you want to read already built in, if they are all there and readable from the ECU and android unit would be good.

I just had aftermarket sensors/gauges in my head.

Soldato
OP i'm surprised you'd not thought of the android/torque idea.

Torque also do a free basic app, would be worth trialing out via your phone first before splashing out on an android headunit and the pro version.

Associate
If you're car doesn't have sensors for the parameters you're trying to read the look at Zada-Techs products. They sell exactly what you're after, however they aren't the cheapest.

http://zada-tech.com/products

If your car does have all the sensors then as mentioned go down the Torque app route.

Back
Top Bottom