Is This A Good Spec?

Soldato
Ideally you would pair 3000MHZ memory with a Ryzen (better performance results) - and with the addition of the GTX 1060 (fine for 1080p) you could afford 16Gb which is pretty fast becoming the standard for modern releases.

Also the Gigabyte Gaming 3 for few pounds more is a superior MB . And the SuperFlower is better quality PSU for a quality build.

Additional: Will you be clocking the CPU or are you after silence as that is a mighty cooler? If you're clocking you may want to consider upping to the Ryzen 1600 and clocking it to 3.7/3.8GHz. The additional cores and threads will also start to be utilised in more recent titles and the clock would bring it line with the 1500X or you could get the Ryzen 1600X (again as you've saved money not getting the GTX 1070)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £288.50
(includes shipping: £11.10)

EDIT:

Below is a build for price comparison with the above components plus a slightly better HDD, alternative slightly smaller cooler (nothing wrong with the Noctua) plus the 1600X - 6 cores and 12 threads.

Below that is a couple of alternate monitors for you to look at - read reviews - one being an IPS screen:

Total: £1,428.91
(includes shipping: £19.62)

Alternate and more recently released monitors - as mentioned earlier read reviews:

Total with monitor similar in total to your first build. Note that if you're not overclocking the stock Wraith cooler is quality - and could save you an additional ~£60.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, all that money on an expensive cooler when Ryzen doesn't overclock that great anyway (with a cheaper cooler you'll get to the overclock limit anyway). You could go for a 6-core as Plec has suggested.

I've heard good things about the Viewsonic XG2401 144Hz 1080, may want to look at it. Apparently quite good colours for a fast TN panel.

Here's a £1600-ish spec with a Ryzen 1600X, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 and a nice GTX 1070 for 144Hz 1080p gaming:

Total: £1,223.78
(includes shipping: £14.10)

OcUK don't stock Viewsonic XG2401.

And the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB and Windows 10 are on silly prices just now.

You can find all three items for £400. So £1,623.78 total.

You get more for your money with Cougar and Edifier, when it comes to peripherals. The mouse has leds too. But just as with case choice, it can come down to personal preference.

Soldato
Sorry forgot to add - the discount Voucher Code for that Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 is:
GBT1070

This GTX 1060 has a code too:
Zot1060

Hey Danny - hadn't noticed your post while editing.

Good spot re: 1060/1070 and voucher.

OP compare builds and pick and match - i just added in your peripherals Danny's taken the time to pick alternates.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Plec,

Ditto, thought you were done so I built on your motherboard and PSU and 16GB RAM recommendations for a full spec. Then I saw your full spec lol.
Hehe - I'm usally doing two things at once - so i'm usually stuck in a post for a while (bad at multitasking :)).

It's good to have choice - and as mentioned above, your cards are a big saving and you swapped in better peripherals.

The Viewsonic looks good too - and if he's gaming (which it seems heavily geared towards) 144Hz makes sense. Going to take a look...

Soldato
Do those Ryzens come with a cooler? I dont think ill be clocking.

1600X does NOT come with cooler.

However, the 1600 does come with the stock Wraith. As mentioned it's a quality stock cooler and will do the job for stock settings admirably.

Add a ~£20 large fan cooler for silent running.

Example:

@mootonandy note EDIT.

The Ryzen 1600X doesn't come with a stock cooler.

As you're not overclocking the cooler above (or similar) will keep it cool and quiet.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1600X does NOT come with cooler.

However, the 1600 does come with the stock Wraith. As mentioned it's a quality stock cooler and will do the job for stock settings admirably.

Add a ~£20 large fan cooler for silent running.

Example:

@mootonandy note EDIT.

The Ryzen 1600X doesn't come with a stock cooler.

As you're not overclocking the cooler above (or similar) will keep it cool and quiet.

I c thx, is ir possible to ditch the mech drive too and just put in a 512GB SSD instead of the 256GB SSD? I just hate the things.

Soldato
Looks a solid and balanced spec now.

This isn't a criticism of your speakers (as TBH i have no clue re: dedicated computer speakers) but have you considered decent headphones for main gaming use? Or do you prefer speakers to cans strapped to you head for gaming?

I have a decent 2.0 system and i use Sennheiser headphones for gaming - well when i can be bothered, i'm not big gamer anymore. They're much more immersive, clearer and make it far easier to pinpoint sounds and distance etc. Plus, you hear things that get missed on speakers on quieter settings. Only a suggestion to consider - plus you may already have a decent set of headphones already....

Back
Top Bottom