Is this cooler as good as my present one?

Soldato
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-05a-al.html

I currently have a Dark Rock2 pro cooling my unclocked (atm :D)Ryzen 2700
but it is a monster and i have trouble getting at the ram slots( i got 2x8 g of 8pac 3600 and 2x16 g of gskill 3600
Have been swapping between a few times to see which is better but i have to unclip the front fan and i can JUST get the back ram in
opinions please:)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply :)
Yeah the DRP2 was reused from my old system as i thought it was so good at cooling,unfortunately it blocks a lot of the mem slot area and i find i am wanting access to swap ram around trying different ones

Sadly that mugen is out of stock here and elsewhere it is over £60.
Is that Brocken not any good?It certainly seems to leave the mem slots clear

Soldato
What is cooler clearance in your case? TRUE Spirit 140 Power by Thermalright is very good with front of cooler only 26.5mm from center of CPU, but it is 171mm tall and reaches 77.5mm toward PCIe sockets. It can be fount on 'alternate' sites for just under £53. Another very good cooler Thermalright Macho for about 44 quid. Sadly OcUK do not stock either one.

Soldato
According to specs HAFX 932 has 172.1mm CPU clearance so 1.1mm of clearance. So will fit case but I don't know about PCIe clearance. Your IFX-14 reaches approx 73.1mm toward PCIe sockets from center of CPU, so TRUE Spirit 140 Power reaches approx. 4.4mm wider.

TRUE Spirit 140 Power cools as well as NH-D15, NH-D14, all Silver Arrows, Dark Rock Pro3, PH-TC14PE, R1 Ultimate, etc. Especially when both are using same fan/s

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There looks to be about 20 mm ish of room over the gfx card to bottom of DRP2
BUT i have an extra usb3 pcix card in top slot,might interfere and i do not like the idea of only 1.1mm gap to side fan
Thanks for the suggestions though guys,will measure and look at all of them:)

Soldato
USB3 card may be a problem, depends on how far forward it's front edge is. TS140P is only 53.4mm thick so 26.7mm back from center CPU.

Soldato
Just remembered Cryorig R1 Universal. It is twin tower that is set back for RAM clearance. I can supply detailed measurement drawing if you need them.

Soldato
There looks to be about 20 mm ish of room over the gfx card to bottom of DRP2
BUT i have an extra usb3 pcix card in top slot,might interfere and i do not like the idea of only 1.1mm gap to side fan
Thanks for the suggestions though guys,will measure and look at all of them:)
Bigger than 120mm fanned heatsinks can protrude to that top PCIe slot, or touch it.
120mm fanned ones are better choises for clearances.

Mugen 5's slower speed dual fan version would be in stock:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5pcgh-mugen-5-pcgh-edition-cpu-cooler-hs-047-sy.html
Though with that slow speed fans performance isn't great, if you don't compare it to noise.

Noctua's slim models are designed for memory compatiblity, but NH-U12S is nowadays clearly overpriced cooler compared to competition.
And for the price it even comes with acoustically very mediocre restless sound signature fan... with miniaturized vibrating roller as motor.
(at least NF-P12 of preceding NH-U12P was acoustically quite decent)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions again :D
That Cryorig R1 Universal is more than i want to spend as my DRP2 is working ,i just want more room to get at the ram (and this is only while i decide on which set to keep/use)
That mugen 5 looks good but as you say slow fans
Had a better look at my clearance and the DRP2 is within about 4 mm of the side fan:eek: bit closer than i thought

Soldato
NH-U12A is a very nice cooler but also has an extremely high price. Many years ago Thermalright had an Ultra 120 with 6x 6mm heatpipes in 56 fins measuring 132x107.6x63.44mm and standing a total of 160.5mm tall. It cooled like other 6x 6mm heatpipe coolers but in a much smaller package. I wish they had not discontinued it. At least I got one when they were available. ;)

Soldato
:eek: That Noctua,but that bequiet one is looking good,same manufacturer as my DRP2 too
Mugen 5 is lot beefier than that normal/standard size and weight Dark Rock Slim.

With two fans in push-pull Mugen 5 should be pretty near in performance to best. (and fox hunting with elephant gun overkill for stock 2700)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5pcgh-mugen-5-pcgh-edition-cpu-cooler-hs-047-sy.html
Arctic P12s would be good candidates for bang per buck heatsink fans.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-black-case-fan-120mm-fg-04g-ar.html

Those have ludicrously low 2.8V start-up voltage, so control without PWM isn't problem.
https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/p12.html

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
28dB is in use on cooler vs 14dB is just an open air. I agree Mugen is better. Darck Rock Slim, is not direct rival to U12A. While both are about same size Dark Rock Slim being 52x130x161mm, it only has only 4 heatpipes while NH-U12A is 58x125x158mm and has 6x heatpipes. So while same basic size NH-U12A has 50% more heatpipe area to transfer heat from base to fins.

Back
Top Bottom