is this good enough to water cool a quad?

Associate
Even at std speed you would struggle, I had one a few years back and when AMD 939 X2 came out it near enough boiled the water, so I would say even though the Quad has a low wattage with the GPU it's likely to be worse than good quality air cooling.

Soldato
At stock speeds yes. Overclocked, I'd say no. Bear in mind that there are only 2 reasons to consider watercooling:

1) To aid in higher overclocks.

2) To reduce noise.

Point 1 would rule out this kit in my opinion.

Point 2? Well a freezer 7 pro or tuniq tower can cool a G0 stepping Q6600 Quad adequately at around 3.5GHz and at stock speeds would be extremely quiet anyway.

The stock coolers on the 8800GTS and GTX cards are virtually silent at 50% - 60% so unless you want massive overclocks it's hardsly worth it. See pic below (My GTX at virtually Ultra speeds including shaders):

gpuz123.png

This would be a much better choice for big overclocks:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-014-SW&groupid=701&catid=193&subcat=

and you could add one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-004-DD&groupid=701&catid=193&subcat=

:)

Soldato
OP
At stock speeds yes. Overclocked, I'd say no. Bear in mind that there are only 2 reasons to consider watercooling:

1) To aid in higher overclocks.

2) To reduce noise.

Point 1 would rule out this kit in my opinion.

Point 2? Well a freezer 7 pro or tuniq tower can cool a G0 stepping Q6600 Quad adequately at around 3.5GHz and at stock speeds would be extremely quiet anyway.

The stock coolers on the 8800GTS and GTX cards are virtually silent at 50% - 60% so unless you want massive overclocks it's hardsly worth it. See pic below (My GTX at virtually Ultra speeds including shaders):

gpuz123.png

This would be a much better choice for big overclocks:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-014-SW&groupid=701&catid=193&subcat=

and you could add one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-004-DD&groupid=701&catid=193&subcat=

:)
thanks for your detailed reply the other cooler you have listed was recommended to me by somebody else so i will probarly get it, the only thing im worrying about is fitting it as i have to put it on the back of pc where my 120mm fan is and then screw some holes for the tubing to go into case. as for my GTX the reason i want it watercooled is it hits 80c idle and 100-105c load which is way too hot even with the fan on a higher speed

Soldato
I've got a Resorator 1 running on my E6600 @ 3.0Ghz & X1950 (unclocked), I've not taken it any further yet as I'm happy enough with 3.0GHz

Idle is 29c and after Orthos torture for 2 hours it levels out at 56c. Temp returns to 39c when Orthos is stopped then slowly decays back to 29c. Two hours of CS:S has it hitting 44c :)

System is silent and cost me £80 on fleabay

I'm happy :D

Associate
I've got a Resorator 1 running on my E6600 @ 3.0Ghz & X1950 (unclocked), I've not taken it any further yet as I'm happy enough with 3.0GHz

Idle is 29c and after Orthos torture for 2 hours it levels out at 56c. Temp returns to 39c when Orthos is stopped then slowly decays back to 29c. Two hours of CS:S has it hitting 44c :)

I didn't think it would do that, just shows how much better current CPU wattage is, glad I didn't come over all knowing and then looked silly.

Soldato
OP

sounds good not sure what to do the resorator is the water cooling system i want but ppl on here and a friend of mine has told the resorator wont cope with my Q6600 and my GTX? not sure what to do :confused:

Soldato
sounds good not sure what to do the resorator is the water cooling system i want but ppl on here and a friend of mine has told the resorator wont cope with my Q6600 and my GTX? not sure what to do :confused:

Buy one on fleabay and try it. Its a piece of **** to fit and if it doesn't give you the results you want then put it back up for auction, it'll only cost you the postage.

I'm certain the other watercooling options will give you better temps but I prefer the silence :)

*should point out that I'm biased, I've got 2 x Resorators one on my E6600/X1950 and the other on the kids AMD64.3000/9800proXT box .

Soldato
OP
Buy one on fleabay and try it. Its a piece of **** to fit and if it doesn't give you the results you want then put it back up for auction, it'll only cost you the postage.

I'm certain the other watercooling options will give you better temps but I prefer the silence :)

*should point out that I'm biased, I've got 2 x Resorators one on my E6600/X1950 and the other on the kids AMD64.3000/9800proXT box .
dont really want to buy something for the chance it wont work to a decent standard and cant be assed with buying then reselling plus it will be a xmas present from the mrs so will wait and see what others say on here but i do apprechaite your feeback on this so thanks:)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a Resorators2 on my system (see sig) temps are higher that my Thermalright and 120mm Ambers (@7v) were, but my system in now silent.
I run it 24/7 with the F@H smp client in my bedroom and i can still hear my son breathing in the next room at night. I would never go back to using fan's again and the wife loves it ;)
I will be installing a quad soon.

As to a 6600 and a GTX on the Res1+ at stock fine - but don't multi-task while gaming.
If you want to OC your system, put the 6600 on it's own loop and the GTX with active cooling (only needed when gaming so your ears will be filled with sound anyway)

The Resorators are designed for quiet - not high OC's
If you want both then the alphacool cape cora system is for you (but it's not cheap and needs space)

Hope that helps

Edit: just reread your comments, personally I wouldn't passively cool this (air or water) as a high flow rate would be needed to remove that about of heat, but then again zalman have a GTX block made for the Resorators so who an I to disagree ;)
as for my GTX the reason i want it watercooled is it hits 80c idle and 100-105c load which is way too hot even with the fan on a higher speed

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've got a Resorators2 on my system (see sig) temps are higher that my Thermalright and 120mm Ambers (@7v) were, but my system in now silent.
I run it 24/7 with the F@H smp client in my bedroom and i can still hear my son breathing in the next room at night. I would never go back to using fan's again and the wife loves it ;)
I will be installing a quad soon.

As to a 6600 and a GTX on the Res1+ at stock fine - but don't multi-task while gaming.
If you want to OC your system, put the 6600 on it's own loop and the GTX with active cooling (only needed when gaming so your ears will be filled with sound anyway)

The Resorators are designed for quiet - not high OC's
If you want both then the alphacool cape cora system is for you (but it's not cheap and needs space)

Hope that helps

Edit: just reread your comments, personally I wouldn't passively cool this (air or water) as a high flow rate would be needed to remove that about of heat, but then again zalman have a GTX block made for the Resorators so who an I to disagree ;)
thanks for your detailed reply im going to more than likley buy the http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...93&subcat=1039 just need to find a GTX block now but dont want to spend nearly £100 on the dangerden so will have to settle for a zalman or a EK block instead i think

Soldato
OP
thanks for your detailed reply im going to be buying the Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra kit i think just need to find a decent GTX block now but dont want to spend nearly £100 on the danger den even though i know its the best will have to settle for the zalman or EK block

Last edited:
Soldato

Yours is a core2 duo mate (Dual Core).....kmufc77 is looking to cool a quad core. :)

Soldato
The thermal design power of a G0 Q6600 (95W) is less than that of a single core S478 3GHz Prescott (103W), and that's exactly what the Reserator was designed to cool.

Quite simply, the Reserator 1 is silent. There is no other word for it. That is it's unique selling point. It will not give overclocked idle temperatures in the low 30's and load temperatures in the mid 50's, but it will run 24/7 at load temperatures in the low 70's, which is comparable to the Intel stock cooler.

As a Q6600 doesn't start to throttle until well into the the high 90's it's no problem, but you have to make the mental jump from seeing temperatures in the 40's to the 70's.

To function efficiently, any cooling system has to dump the heat somewhere and that means you need to run the room cold. If you have the central heating turned up, then don't buy a high performance PC - even a Thermochill PA120.3 with three Deltas won't adequately cool a system in a very hot room. The fact that the OP's GTX is running in excess of 80C makes me think he has the heating turned up too high, which is a common problem if the base unit is in the living room with the TV and the wife.

Most water-cooling newcomers are very disappoointed by the noise - they have bolted 2 or 3 extra fans on their systems and they are surprised it's not quieter than before. As AndyOcUK pointed out - you can have silence or an overclock with water cooling, it's very difficult to have both.

People are massively hung up on temperatures, but the truth is YOU CANNOT DAMAGE AN INTEL CPU BY OVERHEATING, THEY JUST SHUT DOWN.

What most users of water cooling fail to worry about is the chipset cooling and in most overclocks these days, I'm more worried about my chipset cooling than my CPU cooling, so you will still need fans.

I would definitely try a second-hand reserator - I think you'll really like the noise aspect, and I suspect you'll be able to live with the "high" temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom