• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is this graphics card fake?

Associate
Hi,

I bought a used graphics card from a famous Uk store for second hand items(I won't say the name). It was strange for me that I could not find information about this model, but I said ok let's see. The model was AMD R7 240 2GB GDDR 5 but I never found any model like that. The only model I can see is the one with the DDR3. I received and I saw the brand name and it was quite disappointing. Do you think this is fake and I need to return it back?

Thanks

IMG_20180509_131853.jpg
IMG_20180509_131900.jpg
IMG_20180509_131908.jpg
IMG_20180509_131915.jpg

Have you got any larger images, as it's difficult to make anything out from those.

If you have, then it's fairly easy for us to identify whether it is a genuine board or not, or one of the common fakes (as there have been a few recently).

EDIT:
There definitely is a 2GB DDR5 version of the R7 240, as listed in the table on AMD's site here:
https://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r7#

Can't enlarge the pictures here, what does the sticker on the back say? Should have an SKU that with a little GoogleFu will probably narrow it down.

I doubt eBay fraudsters will be faking a 240. I have seen instances of cards with fake bios info that can fool software though, but IIRC this was nvidia cards a while back. Probably possible for AMD too

My problem is that I can't use it with the gpuz as I am waiting for the cpu to come because I am building up a budget pc for my girlfriend.
I installed an app for scanning barcodes. I scanned other parts like an hynix ram , a western digital hard disk and a mouse pad and it worked, you can see their models.
Then I did the same for the sticker of the graphics card and it gave me a number '123456789' . I guess it is funny :(
I will try to post again the photos as url so you can see them on the hosting site, detailed.

Manufacturer logo is "Graphicsplayer", which can be found on chinese import sites and isn't an AMD board partner (https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDPartnersAIBOESystemBuilder.aspx#AIBRegional), so at best is dodgy.

Board layout is wrong compared to reference R7 240's (and majority of AMD boards for a long time) - e.g. HDMI is generally in the middle of the DVI and VGA and has been since around 5xxx series cards.

Until you plug it and attempt to install drivers, scan with GPU-Z then it's hard to be sure, but not looking good imo

Edit:
Sticker says DDR5 which there definitely isn't - 240 is either ddr3 or gddr5

Last edited:
I would stay clear of the same store/seller now that you know they deal in fakes.
Stop using them, report them. Buy elsewhere.

You are right, but i bought there things from there and they were fine (just like millions in the UK). My problem is how a store buys from someone a fake gpu ? They don't even care ? Because someone sold it there

Back
Top Bottom